• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

3u projectile method instead of physics formulas (1 Viewer)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Would it be ok if i used the 3unit projectile method instead of the physics formulas in the hsc?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
This has been a much debated topic, my opinion, keep the two separate

rumour

HSC
Li0n said:
Would it be ok if i used the 3unit projectile method instead of the physics formulas in the hsc?
That is what I use, they are more easy to remember!

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
its not that they are easier to remember or not, its that its so stupid doing it the physics way, it's just that it feels, so... unmaths like ^_^

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
well you should know how the physics formulae are derived (by 3U maths) but doing the working out is a bit redundant in a physics exam, however its whatever you feel natural with.... though i cant see how deriving it is easier to remember or quicker than just plugging it in the formula given.

the new hsc physics has never been about maths

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
well i think the physics formula are actually easier to use in the physics questions, and more straightforward. i think keep it separate is the best. after all the syllabus requires u to be able to solve problems using "the formulas"

govich

high rolla baby
HSC
Li0n said:
its not that they are easier to remember or not, its that its so stupid doing it the physics way, it's just that it feels, so... unmaths like ^_^
i've answered this before :p

OK the syllabus says:
"solve problems and analyse information to calculate the actual velocity of a projectile from its horizontal and vertical components using:
v=u + at
..." etc etc

to me that says you don't use the 3u maths ones...

Cicciolina

HSC
Repeating most people and saying to keep it separate here!
I hate the 3u maths way, I find that so much harder :S and the physics way a lot easier.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah you need to derive the formulas for 3U, however, its generally easier to adapt the formulas.

But keep them seperate.

fatmuscle

HSC
i used the physics formulae in maths

It's the same.

It'll be really stupid to say, solving an equation using 3U maths and solving the same equation using physics, comes up to different answers.

They are both maths, they will both give you the same answer. It's up to you to decide what and how to use them.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah they are the same (you derive the physics ones by not using any values for v<sub>y</sub> and &theta; etc), but you can be marked down for using the wrong course's method.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If you absolutely cant do it without 3 unit methods, just do the 3 unit method on scrap paper and then just write down what is needed, this solves the problem of being marked down for using calculus

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I mean that if you cant remember the formulae, you can derive them on scrap paper and then only write what is required for physics on the test paper.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Ok well i asked my physics teacher today, she said its fine so long as you get the right answer at the end meaning that you obviously must have done it the correct way. However, if you get the wrong answer using the 3unit method (yeah, ok...) then you won't get any marking for your working.
I'll be definately using this way for the trials but until i get a confirmation from a teacher that actually MARKS hsc physics papers i won't use it for the hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)