• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A few questions. (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I have applied for academic credit which means I cannot enrol till the 20th Feb at which time I will be told which units I will get exemptions for etc...but I need an idea of which subjects I want to do and I have stumbled across a few questions so if you guys can help it would be great :)

1. I see that a lot of 2nd year arts units are 4 cp does that mean that they are harder or more work, would it be too much to do one or two of these with 2 other 3 cp subjects?

2. It says this is what I need to do for my degree is - Minimum number of credit points - 116; minimum number of credit points which satisfy the requirements for the degree of Bachelor - 68; maximum number of credit points at 100 level - 30; minimum number of credit points in units with a LAW prefix - 74; minimum number of credit points in units with a non-LAW prefix - 33, which must include an approved coherent study for the Bachelor of Arts.

and for arts- Minimum number of credit points - 68; maximum number of credit points at 100 level - 30; minimum number of credit points at 300 level or above - 18, which must include the following approved coherent study:

At least 12 credit points from units in the range SOC300-SOC395

Does that mean I need to do 33 cp of arts units 12cp of which are 300 level sociology units to complete my arts degree or do I also need to do another 6cp of 300 level subjects, because it does not specify if the major differs for combined law students?

3. If a subjects prereqs says 40cp can I take it if I have completed 38cp and will make up the 2cp that semester?

X

xeuyrawp

1. I see that a lot of 2nd year arts units are 4 cp does that mean that they are harder or more work, would it be too much to do one or two of these with 2 other 3 cp subjects?
In theory, uni work is based on credit points. Ideally, you want to be doing around 12cps a semester. However, that's of course not always the case, some 4cp subjects require less work than 3cp subjects. Generally speaking, it works. Best thing to do is to post up which subjects you're considering.

2. It says this is what I need to do for my degree is - Minimum number of credit points - 116; minimum number of credit points which satisfy the requirements for the degree of Bachelor - 68; maximum number of credit points at 100 level - 30; minimum number of credit points in units with a LAW prefix - 74; minimum number of credit points in units with a non-LAW prefix - 33, which must include an approved coherent study for the Bachelor of Arts.

and for arts- Minimum number of credit points - 68; maximum number of credit points at 100 level - 30; minimum number of credit points at 300 level or above - 18, which must include the following approved coherent study:

At least 12 credit points from units in the range SOC300-SOC395

Does that mean I need to do 33 cp of arts units 12cp of which are 300 level sociology units to complete my arts degree or do I also need to do another 6cp of 300 level subjects, because it does not specify if the major differs for combined law students?
Eek, too hard with that law shit!

Best thing to do is to do your prescribed LAW units and work your arts units around them. When working out what arts units you need to do, just look at a normal arts degree and work out the major from that. Don't look at that combined BA LLB thingo, it's confusing.

To complete your arts degree, you need no more than* 30 100 level cps, ((no more than 20 200 level cps)), and at least 18 cps in 300 level. From those 18cps, you need to chose 3 units from SOC300-SOC395 (12 cps) and 6cps worth of any other 300 level units.

In terms of prereqs, go backwards from the SOC3xx units that look interesting. You may have access to SOC2xx units based on you being a second year, so remember to factor them in as well.

3. If a subjects prereqs says 40cp can I take it if I have completed 38cp and will make up the 2cp that semester?
If it says SOC299 in sem 2 has a prereq of 40cps, you can take it if will have completed 40cps by the end of sem 1. Otherwise, you need an easily obtainable waiver. :) Shouldn't be a problem if you're 2cps short.

*'no more than' is the minimum requirement. You can, of course, go over, but be weary if this will alter your degree plan. In theory, you could pump the 200 and 300 level units, as long as you have not gone over the 30 100 level cps, and have got at least 18 300 level cps. The 20 200 level cps is if you stuck to the recommended min/max.

The best thing to do would be to tell us what units you're thinking about, I'm sure between all of us, we've done them all.

Last edited by a moderator:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks, I am still having a lot of fun sorting out my program, damn the differing programs, how do you obtain a waiver?

I will probably end up sitting at my academic advising with no plan and saying..."help me!"

The difficulty is I only have 2 law units to complete 2nd year law units, but not allowed to take 3rd year law units until I have done them and I have done 4 soc sci/arts subjects at uws but some are 1st year others 2nd year and thus am not sure of which arts units to do, I'd like to start some 3rd year ones in 2nd semester but can't...arg.. lol I am a pain in the arse lol

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
melsc said:
no way. if you have 2 3cp subjects and 1 4cp subject = 10cp when the average load is 12cp.
if you meant to type 3 3cp subjects with the 1 4cp subject (so 13cp) i would also say you should be fine with that, i did it and found no problem whatsoever, of course it depends on the subeject but my 3cp subjects were more work. similarly, i've done some 3cp subjects that really should have been 4cp for the amount of work i did.
2 3cp and 2 4cp i still think would be ok.
so my final answer is no, it shoudn't be too much, of course depending on the subject.
i would not do 3 4cp with 1 3cp though unless i really wanted to fast-track or really needed to.
melsc said:
on a quick read it seems
non-law subjects:
12cp from soc 300-395.
therefore, at least 6 more cp at 300 level (18-12=6)
therefore, at least 15 more cp at 200 level (33-18=15)

so, i don't know if this is what you were asking, but i think that it means you need another 6cp of 300 level (arts) subjects. if you use your law subjects to make up those 6cp (which it seems maybe you can), you'll need to do another 6cp at 200 level anyway. or is that totally different to what you were asking? *no idea, wasting time til i can leave the house*

melsc said:
as pwar said, otherwise it would be a corequisite

Last edited:

Kegs

HSC
I have seen my friends do 4x 4cp subjects, and another do 3x4cp and 2x3cp in the same semester. They did well, as their marks from earlier work would indicate, but I know they would not do it again. The 2 3cp subjects were law and they got credits, so that was dissapointing for them, when looking at their past marks. It is also very difficult, because of the lvl of reading required for law and 2 and 3rd year Soc/Anth subjects. It is hard to prep for all the tutes so in the end the student must choose which one they want to do weekly. I havent done them myself, but have seen that shit. One week of reading for those 5 classes was 1 term of reading for my Geography and Maths.
The lecturers will not let you do heaps if you dont have the marks, a good reason and are a very good talker to win them over. Good Luck!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've found with Arts, that the credit points are fairly random in allocation and a much better approach would be 300 level > 200 level > 100 level, in terms of expectations.

Kegs

HSC
Yeah, that is a good guide line. Follow what he said.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
I've found with Arts, that the credit points are fairly random in allocation and a much better approach would be 300 level > 200 level > 100 level, in terms of expectations.
All SOC subjects >100 are 4cps, anyways, but I suppose that's a good point. A 200 level (4cp) SOC might be a lot less work than a 100 level (3cp) LAW unit...

melsc said:
Thanks, I am still having a lot of fun sorting out my program, damn the differing programs,
Look I really think the best thing to do is to tell us what law subjects you need to do this year, and what SOC subjects you're thinking of doing. Then we can work it out better.

how do you obtain a waiver?
You go to SES and pick up a Waiver Form, it's pink and should be sitting up on the left when you walk in. Depending on your department, you need to get it signed and/or stamped by around three people. It's not too tough, and all the academics and admins know about them. :)

I will probably end up sitting at my academic advising with no plan and saying..."help me!"
Like I said, tell us what LAW units you're doing, and what kind of SOC units.

The difficulty is I only have 2 law units to complete 2nd year law units, but not allowed to take 3rd year law units until I have done them and I have done 4 soc sci/arts subjects at uws but some are 1st year others 2nd year and thus am not sure of which arts units to do, I'd like to start some 3rd year ones in 2nd semester but can't...arg.. lol I am a pain in the arse lol
So I assume you know exactly which LAW units you need to do? If not, you need to go speak with the Law dept pronto. LLBs are very prescriptive, so you can't fuck around with it.

With the SOC units, ditto, unless you know which ones match with which.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Well I have done 'Intro to law' which would be equivalent to law, lawyers and society, law foundations (which I am not sure if I will be granted an exemption for jurisprudence), torts which would be the same, criminal law which would give me credit for criminal law and procedure I but not 2 because at uws you do procedure later.

Thus all I need to do for second year law is
1st Semester
Contracts
Possibly Jurisprudence

2nd Semester
Criminal Law and Procedure 2

I was thinking of doing Soc233 and possibly soc 236

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I have been informed that the only law units I need to do are Law 204 and Law206. Thus I have been granted 11 general arts credit and 15 law cp plus excemptions for law104,law114, law203, law205,law412 So I think I will be doing:

semester 1
Law203
Pol167
soc233
soc236
= 14 cp

semester 2
Law206
soc 361
soc372

Does semester 1 look like too much work?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You'll be doing a lot of essays, but coming from a Law degree already, I think you should be used to it :p

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah, and if it's too much, you can easilly withdraw from one of them.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
AsyLum said:
You'll be doing a lot of essays, but coming from a Law degree already, I think you should be used to it :p
Lol yeah, 1st semester at UWS I had a 2250 word essay and 3500 word essay for my law subjects plus 1500 essays for the soc sci subjects, I should be ok...

I am enrolling tomorrow so I can finally pick my tutes get my books and student card! Thanks for all the help guys

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
I have been informed that the only law units I need to do are Law 204 and Law206. Thus I have been granted 11 general arts credit and 15 law cp plus excemptions for law104,law114, law203, law205,law412 So I think I will be doing:

semester 1
Law203
Pol167
soc233
soc236
= 14 cp

semester 2
Law206
soc 361
soc372

Does semester 1 look like too much work?
I take it Law203 is a typo and should read Law204.. Congrats on getting so many units credited. It seems like they are a lot more lenient these days!

dracover

HSC
i've done 15 cr pts in a sem before and didnt really notice it

it depends mainly on wat ur doing like cr pts generally go higher as the number of hrs required goes up e.g. i've had 4 cr pt subs where its 3 hrs lec 1 hr tut but requires some extra reading, i've also had 3 hr lectures NO tuts yet still 4 cr so lots of reading but for both there were like no assignments and mid sems practically 100% finals. it just depends wat u prefer.

if fink my gpa for that sem was my 2nd highest too =D

u try harder wen u got ur bak to a wall =D

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I found out that they did not give me credit for law 104, so I have to do that again and because its a prereq I had to get special permission etc which made enrolment all complicated. Oh well I'll meet some first years!

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
I found out that they did not give me credit for law 104, so I have to do that again and because its a prereq I had to get special permission etc which made enrolment all complicated. Oh well I'll meet some first years!
(edited) That's a bit weird, haven't you done an intro to law subject? =(

Last edited by a moderator:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yep I did an intro to law subject which had a 3500 word casenote + research commentary assignment + exam but the excemption office who was filling in for the guy who made that decision said he did that to all law students transfering and he was happy to let me enrol in higher units but I'd still have to do it because its core...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)