• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A few tips for people wishing to work in retail. (1 Viewer)

Mantello

Banned
HSC
I've actually noticed alot of people have been complaining about not being able to find a job because either the company just won't respond to emails / phone calls or what not, but sometimes if you're actually going to go in and speak to a member of a store, always take these tips as a stepping stone to actually getting the job.

1) Retailers don't give a crap if you got the best or the worst UAI / HSC mark. As long as you can sell, get add-ons & become a reliable and fast worker, then you've got a a better chance at acquiring the job.

Of course education is important, but for a person like me who didn't want to do HSC Maths doesn't need 4 Units of it to press a button on the cashier and read how much change is needed to give back to the customer.

2) If you actually got the chance to be interviewed, one question they will always ask (providing you have had previous experience) is how you found your last job.

Never tell the interviewer how bad your experience was with your last job. Alot of people do this and tend to ruin it for themselves by rambling on about how bad it was working with the said company. Just say you enjoyed your time, it was fun, but you're actually looking for some new challenges or something along those lines and i'm sure they will take that into consideration.

3) Always come prepared with a resume if you're going to go job hunting. Don't come into the store and ask for job availabilites but not have a resume/cover letter on hand, because chances are, you'll walk back in and see that same person you spoke (when giving the resume) to working there again and you'll be looked at as an unprepared person.

* I had a girl come in the other day asking about a job with Sanity...she looked at me after I told her what to do and was like "ummm ok thanks and just walked out". Didn't even seem serious about what she asked.

4) Listen carefully. There's nothing worse than asking a question that has already been spoken about!

5) Address the job criteria. Research the company if need be.

There's just a few of the little things that need to be taken into consideration.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
This is so true.

Mantello speaks words of wisdom!

greekgun

HSC
Alot of those tips are common sense
but it will b good for the tards who dont know how to make themesleves standout fromt he rest
+1

sach1990

HSC
thanks bro...i have an interview with the store manager very soon so that was kind of helpful...especially asking them to repeat the question which i do very often cos i get nervous when i try to act serious and sound professional

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
if you go into speak to the staff, don't go during the peak hour. Going in the morning, also increases the chance of you speaking to the manager. Bring a CV, with contact details. If it doesn't look like anything is happening, thank them for their time, then leave the CV (if you want).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)