• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advice on dropping a subject (1 Viewer)

lDoHl

HSC
I am currently studying 13 units and due to the workload I havent' been able to steadily study for each of my subjects.
Currently studying:-
English Adv
= Maths X1
= Math X2
= Jap Continuers
= Jap X1
= Chem
= Business

I am considering dropping either Business or Chem. Careless mistakes in prac assessments has seen my rank go to 32/48 (as opposed to business's 9/20) but there are few marks separating people.
For Business, we get large amounts of hw basically every single day, not leaving much time to focus on other subjects. I enjoy Chem classes more but find Business concepts easier to understand. From half yearlies, I know that if I focus on Chem I can improve a lot but I find this could also be the case for Business.
Taking scaling into account, Chemistry has the better scaling.

For Uni I have been considering a Commerce course but should I change my mind in the future, dropping Chem would be closing off my options and would require for me to do a bridging course.

Any advice from people would be much appreciated.

bEAbEA

HSC
I would say to drop business because it is scaled less and you are getting lots of homework. Also, the fact that you enjoy chem more means that you are more likely to study for it when the HSC comes around.
Also, as miss_gtr said, chem leaves your opens open more for uni.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I do both Chemistry and Business. I find Chemistry more enjoyable and interesting, like you. However, I wouldn't drop either subject. There are students in my own class who are considering dropping Business now, just weeks before the trials. But why bother? I know this may seem slightly dodgy, but keep Business and just give it a lower priority. As my Eco teacher said, you can go into an HSC Business exam having done no extra study other than class work and still manage 80+...you've gone this far. I say keep both.

Btw. how much hw do you get for Business each night? Personally, I usually get around 3-6 pages to summarise each night.

lDoHl

HSC
Haha make me! >.<
Anyway i've decided to drop Business Studies. In terms of workload it would vary with occasionally just maybe around 3 pages to recently where we've had to over the weekend summarise a whole segment of the syllabus and then do the relevant exercises.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
lDoHl said:
Haha make me! >.<
Anyway i've decided to drop Business Studies. In terms of workload it would vary with occasionally just maybe around 3 pages to recently where we've had to over the weekend summarise a whole segment of the syllabus and then do the relevant exercises.
Out of pure curiosity, why did you choose to drop Business Studies and not Chemistry? ... late last year I was also considering dropping Business Studies but I opted against it. It's just that when people (incl. me) decide to drop something, their first choice always seems to be Business.

lDoHl

HSC
I guess choosing Chemistry was a decision to do a subject I enjoyed over the other. Chossing chem would also leave my uni course opportunities open - Commerce being my focus however engineering is being considered. While rank may be so-so, with my new-found free time I should benefit from a more even distribution of work and hopefully work my rank up a bit in the trials.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
lDoHl said:
I guess choosing Chemistry was a decision to do a subject I enjoyed over the other. Chossing chem would also leave my uni course opportunities open - Commerce being my focus however engineering is being considered. While rank may be so-so, with my new-found free time I should benefit from a more even distribution of work and hopefully work my rank up a bit in the trials.
Ok...well, I'm glad you've made your decision. Good luck with Chem and the rest of your subjects :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)