• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Analog Monitor/Digital Monitor (1 Viewer)

chris42

HSC
Hey all,

I was looking at the different LCD monitors around and I saw there was a choice between digital and analog LCD monitors.

Anyone have any idea what the difference is ?

Thanks

ae

HSC
Digital output (DVI) is faster, since with analog, the monitor has to convert what the video card give (digital) to analog before it get displayed.

DVI give significant difference when you play games or watch DVD, cost more expensive aswell.

Anyway, get DVI if you can.

sweathers

Isn't a digital monitor still going to have to convert the digital signal to analog anyhow?

sweathers

ae

HSC
im only know generally about LCD DVI, since i was choosing whether to buy analog or DVI LCD.

what i commented on DVI might be wrong, but that what i remembered from various LCD reviews.

if you wanna know the details, go google it
:p

Soliah

A LCD works far differently. That's why its called a LCD. There is no electron gun (to my knowledge). Rather a electrode does something to the liquid crystals (something along of the lines of light polarising between 2 pieces of glass).

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm :)

Anyway, DVI (Digital Video Interface) is the interface in which the LCD monitor will hookup to your computer - the actual connector is different to that of a conventional CRT monitor, which has a 15pin VGA port. DVI should provide better quality than VGA from memory.

VGA:

DVI:

Edit: If you don't have the the DVI connector on your video card, you'll need a DVI to VGA adapter. Most LCD's should come with one, but if not, they can be bought from computer places.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
I have an LCD monitor using VGA, but it also has DVI.

I'm using this on a 4 year old GeForce 2 GTS (LOL it goes hard when TV-outting), VGA only.

LOL :D

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
DVI and VGA will have almost no diff for the average user.

DVI slightly better geometry
VGA slightly better colour

there are no other differences

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)