• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anil's Ghost (1 Viewer)

tomcats 72

HSC
Hey has anyone studied anil's ghost, I know it wasn't what you were specifically talking about. Does any one understand the ending, the restoration of the budhist statue?

Last edited:

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
the reason it's there is bastically for the reader to gain a sort of closure.
the ending itself doesn't show any solving of the crime (although that's what many would expect from crime fiction) so through the restoration of the statue part readers are able to move on and gain detatchment from the story.

if the 'Distance' part wasn't there, the ending would just be too abrupt with the death of the president.

lol that's what i think anyway.

tomcats 72

HSC
Sounds good. I was reading some university notes on Anil's ghost which discussed budhism in the novel. Could the ending also be too demonstrate the context with the budha restored but facing to the north symbolising the influence of the religon on the fighting in the north. Also the budha is restored but the cracks in it are still evident could this symbolise the fractured nature of budhism in Sri-lanka which has caused the conflicts.

HSC
N/A
^^^ Could you cite sources?

also, I'm a little confused.

You've got some major grammar inconsistencies going on and I don't quite get what you're saying. If I didn't know better, I'd say you've cut and paste from a website *confused*.

Where exactly did you get this again?

Last edited:

tomcats 72

HSC
Yeah, Marlene Goldman Representations of Budhism in Anil's Ghost. Why? is it important

HSC
N/A
Hmm.

I have a friend that was hunting down that book, and she wasn't able to get a copy of it at all (and apparently you can't buy it over the internet either). I have to wonder where you obtained Goldman's text...if you did obtain it, I would love to hear from where as I REALLY want one!

tomcats 72

HSC
the essay I was able to get my hands on is only 8 pages long, I got it off my english extension teacher. If you goes to google and types in: Marlene Goldman Repreentations of Budhism in Ondaatje's Anil's Ghost, then you will probably be able to find that specific essay.
Where there's a will there's a way. lol

tomcats 72

HSC
glitterfairy said:
You've got some major grammar inconsistencies going on and I don't quite get what you're saying. If I didn't know better, I'd say you've cut and paste from a website *confused*.

No I didn't cut and paste it, I just have shit grammer lol. wasn't really paying much attention, just blabing on about crap. I shouldn't have done ext 1 lol.

tomcats 72

HSC
Thanks heaps. Have you studied Anil's Ghost? What do you think of the ending. Everyone I have asked has come up with a different answer, so whats your interpretation?

monique66

Not coincidentally, the final episode in Ondaatje's novel draws our attention to the process of renovating sacred sites, featuring the artisan Ananda's attempt to rebuild a giant statue of the Buddha. According to the Pali canon, Ananda was the Buddha's constant attendant; after the latter's death, Ananda recited the entire Sutra Pitaka from memory. In a similarly elegiac gesture, Ondaatje's Ananda labours to restore a statue whose face has been broken into more than "one hundred chips and splinters of stone" (303). Although Ananda completes the statue and participates in the Buddhist tradition of the ritual of the eyes, the wounded statue of the Buddha, whose "eyes would always look north," (306) serves as a haunting reminder of the outcome of the bloody conflicts in the northern provinces. These conflicts among the Buddhist Sinhalese-dominated government, the anti-government factions, including the JVP, and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam have all but shattered the ideals of Buddhism. Read in the context of the ongoing historical connection between Buddhism and the ethnic violence in Sri Lanka, Anil's Ghost does not promote a transcendent, unified vision of Buddhism free from the fetters of politics. Moreover, in a country, where symbols of temporal and racial unity and fragmentation are historically embedded and politically charged, it is significant that, as Ondaatje's narrator explains, "up close the [sculpture of the newly restored Buddha's] face looked quilted" (302). Rather than" homogenize the stone" and "blend the face into a unit," Ananda decides to "leave it as it was" (302). The novel thus registers a shift from the unifying and protecting image of the thread of the pirit ceremony to the image of quilting, a form of stitching that likewise unifies yet, at the same time, acknowledges separation and difference. In portraying Buddhism, Ondaatje gestures toward the ideals of transcendence, wholeness, and unity. Ultimately, these are ideals that Ananda, one of the country's finest artisans, and Ondaatje refuses to re-inscribe. Instead, we are left pondering "the fields where Buddhism and its values met the harsh political events of the twentieth century" (300).
that talks about the end.. :rolleyes:

monique66

yeah i have...to me its more about rebuilding and putting the pieces of the puzzle back together. The statue of the Buddah represents the tumoil of the country and at the same time the people that attempt to create order from the chaos. Ananda wears Saraths shirt at the end symbolising his respect for the dead. And i think the 'eye' shows us something important as well. I mean we have this whole 'blind prophet' motif running throughout the text, Ananda sees more than others yet he wears glasses. I think that same prinicple applies to the Buddah, he can finally see the destruction of the world around him with the painting of his eye.

Also the idea of art being redemptive. Nothing and nonone can make sense of the violence in Sri Lanka so i think art is a way of creating 'distance' and being able to look at everything objectively. Thus, the idea of the Buddah will evoke different things for all of us, i mean there is no 'right' understanding of the novel

Just remember its postcolonial and postmodern ;)

tomcats 72

HSC
Yeah. Only good thing about this text is that it gives me so much to talk about. What other texts are you doing for crime fiction?

monique66

Big sleep and the real inspector hound...u?
oh man, my ext trial is tomorrow, i really need tyo practise writing an essay

tomcats 72

HSC
Big Sleep and the Skull Beneath the Skin. Good luck with your trial exam, I don't have mine for another month.

tomcats 72

HSC
Probably. Sounds like you will do fine but. You seem to know your stuff. What are you doing for your ext 2 major work?

monique66

Umm...i'm doing a film script based on *drumroll* crime fiction! Hehe...something about subversion of an audience's assumptions or the like :)

tomcats 72

HSC
lol. I'm doing a short story on crime fiction. Great minds think alike... ha ha ha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)