• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another "Should I do it" one. Sorry peoples. :) (2 Viewers)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Let's say a certain someone, i.e. me, is getting around 95% in 2U (ranked 1st) and 75%-85% in 3U (Not rank ed1st). Should I try 4U?

I can kick most of 2 Unit's arse but my 3U isn't shit hot. I don't wanna be one those people who say "Hmph! I got 30% but I can get like 90%+ if I actually studied. " but I think I'll have to borrow some of their formulaic response. :p I think the reason my 3U is not so hot is that I never do any homework and just cram before tests.

Why do I do this? Because I have my whole 2 hours of 3U dumped on one Wednesday every week which causes me to go "Hmm, should I do 3U Homework...nah, it's a whole week away"..."Oh shit! It's Wednesday already, I'm so screwed.". That is basically an abridged version of what 3U has been for me this year. :(

I however have learnt that I have determination and a lot of it. I've sat down and hit the books hard for my yearlies so I'm leaning towards doing 4U but I'm still a bit worried because of my 3U. Who knows? Maybe, even if I studied and did the homework, my 3U could still be shit and seeing as 3U will count as 2 Units towards my UAI. I'm a bit afraif.

Sorry for typing so much but I really value everyone's opinion so I wanted to type out my situation and get some feedback.

Thank You in advance. :)

P.S I'm planning on doing some prep for my subjects during the school holidays at home.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Thanks Riviet. :)

I believe that in making this thread, I have committed what we call in the scientific community, a "whoopsie".

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
4u isn't all that hard.....

your marks are much higher than what mine would have been in yr 11..
your 3u marks are also pretty good, that's if the tests are somewhat difficult.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
YBK said:
your 3u marks are also pretty good, that's if the tests are somewhat difficult.
I haven't really compared it to other school's test but my school is a selective if that makes any difference.

I think I've set my mind now. I'll definately do 4Unit maths, theonly thing that can stop me now are the teachers recommendations. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'm sure your teachers would more than know your capabilities, they'll surely recommend you to do it. ;)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I've talked it over with the teachers and it seems that I must do 2 unit along with 3 unit and 4 unit incase I drop 4 unit.

That means I'll have 14 units altogether for the HSC. :(

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
LottoX said:
Everyone in 4U inevitably does 2U as well... It's just that you'll have to sit for their tests, which should be no biggie.
Really? The head teacher said that there will be a 4U class when 2U is on for anyone confident enough in knowing that they won't drop back to 2U which means they won't have to do 2U. i.e They'll only do 12 units.

Sorry if I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I know that it won't count but I'd be doing the work of 6 units of Maths while others at my school are doing only 4 units.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Okay look, sorry if I'm wrong but this is what the head of maths dept. at my school said.

People like me who are unsure if they will or will not drop back to 2 unit will have to go to every 2 Unit class and do all the assessments just like we weren't doing 4 Unit incase we ever drop it. We have do do this until the trials then we may drop it.

But for the people who are adamant that they will never drop 4 Unit, they are not required to go to the 2 Unit classes and there will be a 4 Unit class on at the same time as 2 Unit for these people.

Sorry if I sound like I'm arguing with you, I'm just trying to clarify a few things. :)

YBK

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
Okay look, sorry if I'm wrong but this is what the head of maths dept. at my school said.

People like me who are unsure if they will or will not drop back to 2 unit will have to go to every 2 Unit class and do all the assessments just like we weren't doing 4 Unit incase we ever drop it. We have do do this until the trials then we may drop it.

But for the people who are adamant that they will never drop 4 Unit, they are not required to go to the 2 Unit classes and there will be a 4 Unit class on at the same time as 2 Unit for these people.

Sorry if I sound like I'm arguing with you, I'm just trying to clarify a few things. :)
that still means you're only doing 4u maths

live.fast

HSC
N/A
dont do 4u. if ur gud at 2u, den juz get betta at 3u n dats it. itll count da same as if u did 3u n 4u instead. more work = for less likely marks.

juz ace da 2u n work on 3u n daz it.

H

housemouse

live.fast said:
dont do 4u. if ur gud at 2u, den juz get betta at 3u n dats it. itll count da same as if u did 3u n 4u instead. more work = for less likely marks.

juz ace da 2u n work on 3u n daz it.
I disagree. Generally in all schools the 3 unit students will never beat the 4 unit students in the 3 unit exam. In my school, all the 4 unit students occupy the top places. Also 3 unit will count as 2 units when you do 4 unit meaning you have an advantage over others in getting a high uai.

Once you do 4 unit, 3 unit will be like 2 unit.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
~shinigami~ said:
That's kind of like what happened at my school. All 12 of the 4u students in my year had to sit all 2u assessments in addition to 3 and 4u assessments throughout most of the first half of the HSC year; it was only after the half yearlies that we were allowed to start making choices of whether to stop doing the 2u assessments or not. :D
If you're doing 4u maths, 2u assessments should be a piece of cake anyway.

YBK

HSC
housemouse said:
I disagree. Generally in all schools the 3 unit students will never beat the 4 unit students in the 3 unit exam. In my school, all the 4 unit students occupy the top places. Also 3 unit will count as 2 units when you do 4 unit meaning you have an advantage over others in getting a high uai.

Once you do 4 unit, 3 unit will be like 2 unit.
yeah, that makes sense

I remember last year when I used to feel 3u was hard. After 4u, 3u feels like 2u in yr11 and 4u feels like how 3u felt last year :D

ravdawg

HSC
That is so true, I remember at the end of last year me and my mates were like 'we don't need to go to 2u, 3u is the only one that is hard'
this year it changed to
'we don't need to go to 3u, 4u is the only one that is hard'

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)