• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Are the Cambridge Extension questions worth it? (1 Viewer)

calamebe

HSC
This is my situation:

My school uses the MiF textbook, which I hear is really, really easy. So I decided to get the Cambridge 3U textbook to do questions for study. However, I have just started and am only up to chapter 3. I do really well in my tests, >90% for all tests so far, but I find around 1/4 of the Cambridge extension questions to be extremely difficult and impossible to do. So far, I have only been doing Extension questions and Development questions where I feel I need some extra practice, as I have finished most concepts in the book. I am wondering should i be worried that the many Extension questions are extremely hard, and are HSC exams and assessments this hard? If not, should I continue doing all the Extension questions with some development questions where I need it? Thanks in advance.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
No lol you dont need to do the extension questions at all. Instead do lots of past paper questions especially the harder ones at the end of the papers which most people can't do.
But it's good to see you using cambridge instead of mif

calamebe

HSC
Ok, thanks. Are they completely a waste of time, or would they actually help a little. If not, would just doing development be good? Also, I do many past papers and revision, but haven't attempted any HSC papers yet as I don't know all the content.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Yeah a complete waste of time because questions are not like that in actual exams so it's not worth wasting time doing that. Development questions are enough.
In hsc papers i recommend doing the questions from the topics you've done as you go but since your hac is in 2017 it seems too early for that

calamebe

HSC
Ok, thanks for all of that!
Edit: oh and while most of my HSC is in 2017, my maths HSC is 2016, so it's not too far away anymore.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)