• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Are the F2F and Medentry Papers similar to the UMAT at all? (1 Viewer)

nikhilverma

HSC
I have had a few different people tell me different thing about the medentry and F2F papers. I was just curious whether they are anything like the actual acer umat? the practice papers acer sells i believe is very similar to medentry which is different to what other people have said..

Thanks

santamat

HSC
A friend of mine said that ACER booklets were much easier than the real UMAT. I also had a talk in my uni from ACER lady and she said that ACER online booklets are dated back to 2006 / 2007, and UMAT is getting harder every year, so I would imagine ACER booklets and organisations who have similar test papers are not all that relevant, but on the other hand who knows, there is so much controversy around UMAT and everything else that comes with it. I checked UMAT sample questions from NIE website and they looked very similar to the UMAT I did, especially section 3, I must say I was quite stunned and it got me wondering at the end if I should have purchase their course to prepare.

Also, in relation to the other two courses you are talking about, my teacher in school said that you will always come across different comments on forums about different courses. E.g. a students that would do well in UMAT would not likely go and post a positive comment about a course they did, but a student who did not do well and spent lots of money on preparation is likely to go and post bad comments, and I think that is why there is always such a big mix of comments about courses like medentry, face 2 face, NIE, medstart, etc etc. I think what's important is that organisation you go with should be based in Australia or New Zealand at least, but definitely not overseas, and lots of those organisation are overseas and simply produce poor quality material and they are just out to make money. I recall my teacher was trying to buy some UMAT prep materials for our school, and she said when she called this particular organisation she actually was transferred to another country and the person who answered hardly spoke English and just kept saying how they need to create online account to register for the materials, just need to be careful I think.

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
From experience F2F has many mistakes. The year I did my test 3 or so questions from Medentry actually was almost 100% similar to the UMAT suggesting Medentry had people memorise the questions. Medentry is probably more tailored towards UMAT in my opinion but times may have changed. That being said Medentry is insanely expensive and you need to weigh up the cost benefit ratio. If you can afford it, by all means if not there are ways around it. *hint *hint

santamat

HSC
Yeah that's true in relation to cost, I could not afford it at the time, or more kind of went with advice that you can just use ACER booklets to prepare, but then at the end I felt like I should have done at least some sort of prepartion as I missed out only by very few marks, so it's painful until this day. But then I also couldn't stop wonder about courses that have similar questions to what WAS tested in the UMAT.

Yeah students go memorise questions, etc etc, but what will be tested in UMAT will be different every year anyway, so not too sure whether what you are saying about MedEntry makes sense, or are you saying like MedEntry had access to future UMAT test paper? Because you are saying what was in your test is what was in MedEntry's prep material. If they did have access to future UMAT test papers wouldn't they make like more same questions in their prep course rather than only 3 to get a really good credibility for their organisation? Or you think UMAT recycles previously used questions?

But then same goes for nie and any other prep organisation, how relevant is the fact that questions are similar? But on the other hand if UMAT would be very similar every year, then yeah it would make sense, and I actually think it must be similar because ACER papers don't change right, they used same papers for some time and recently posted couple new...What's interesting though that ACER released an article that repeating HPAT (my parents friend's daughter actually doing research on this) (a test very similar to UMAT but in Ireland) increases scores on repeated attempts, so I guess practice of relevant materials does help, and so UMAT preparation then also helps, right? Why wouldn't ACER then say this, rather than sating opposite....it's all so controversial and funny in its own way....

santamat

HSC
I just wish there would be no UMAT so I could do med!!!!!!! and wouldn't need to study for GAMSAT either - another silly exam that tests you on your endurance level rather than knowledge I think, honestly who got sanity to do 110 of science questions after you done English part, and 2 essays.....grrrrrr.

Medman

HSC
ACER has a pool of questions just like universities. They pick from those pool of questions. If Medentry has a pool of ACER questions from previous years sometimes a few may actually come up in the actual UMAT. That's what I think anyway.

You think medicine isn't about endurance? I suggest you find another lifestyle career. If you want to complain about how hard it is to enter medicine you should not even be considering medicine as the aftermath of specialty training and work load whilst studying will make you cry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)