• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Belonging/not belong (1 Viewer)

etoile rouge

HSC
"Belonging and not belonging are on the same side of the coin"
Discuss.
The meaning I draw from this is that by belonging to something you automatically exclude yourself from other groups. The two go hand in hand.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think this is a brilliant question, as it separates those who have a thorough knowledge of Belonging from those who don't. Your interpretation is awesome. I'd also go so far as to say that when you create a sense of belonging by expecting a certain criteria from people within that group (such as a group of supermodels, where you have to be 'thin' etc), this desire for sameness and conformity creates a feeling of exclusion, more than inclusion.

etoile rouge

HSC
I think this is a brilliant question, as it separates those who have a thorough knowledge of Belonging from those who don't. Your interpretation is awesome. I'd also go so far as to say that when you create a sense of belonging by expecting a certain criteria from people within that group (such as a group of supermodels, where you have to be 'thin' etc), this desire for sameness and conformity creates a feeling of exclusion, more than inclusion.
Thats quite a valid point. I like it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Essentially, it refers to the fact that belonging and not belonging are not mutually exclusive states. It is not a dichotomy in the purest sense, and the can often occur simultaneously, and in varying degrees.

jazzzod

HSC
The evident paradox of exclusion from belonging to a group is perfect for discussion.

lychnobity

HSC
You could also say that those who supposedly 'do not belong' form a group which they unknowingly belong to.

PS. I'm not quite sure what you wanted

mystery_meat

HSC
In order to 'belong' one has to conform in some form, and the need to do so (in my opinion) means that no one can truly belong - the individual must sacrifice certain aspects of their identity that would not be accepted. And those who do not feel as if they belong may find a form of acceptance in others with similar interpretations of belonging and not belonging.

There's quite a few possible interpretations that I can see.. though a lot of them are probably the same and it's just me who thinks they're different because of how I word them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)