• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Belonging Related Texts (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Okay so there are two advanced teachers in my school. One says that you're related texts should be different (i.e. a novel and a movie) to your prescribed (i.e. poems). One teacher says that related texts are judged separately from your prescribed. E.g. Your prescribed texts are 'The Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson' and for your related you can have another poem and a novel.

So what's the verdict?

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
i recommend having different as it shows you are really versatile with your English. the other day i wrote an essay for my teacher, who is an hsc marker and she said my choice of texts would definitely have impressed the markers.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Okay so there are two advanced teachers in my school. One says that you're related texts should be different (i.e. a novel and a movie) to your prescribed (i.e. poems). One teacher says that related texts are judged separately from your prescribed. E.g. Your prescribed texts are 'The Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson' and for your related you can have another poem and a novel.

So what's the verdict?

I've always gone with a different text type for the related text (Infact it is dictated that we choose a different text type)

rawrence

HSC

So what's the verdict?
Do different forms, you want to show the marker you can deconstruct various types of forms, having 2 poems will just seem like you're only good with deconstructing poems and you're staying away from a wider range of texts

jangbang69

HSC
N/A
OP
at my school it's imperative that we don't use the same text types,
i recommend you stick to that!

Aluminesis

HSC
At my school, our assessment tasks often say that we can't have two texts of the same form. While your school may not do the same, it's a good idea to get into the habit anyway. It also gives you a wider range of techniques (e.g. camera angles in film) so you aren't repeating tone, simile, metaphor, imagery over and over again.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher (who is a HSC marker) says by having different texts e.g a poem, movie, song, picture, speach etc.. allows greater sophistication within essays then if you watch two movies which is easier than reading a 500page novel.

Here are some related texts for you: http://www.insidebreak.org.au/belonging/

mecramarathon

HSC
i really can't see why they should mark you down because one of your two related text is of the same medium

obviously if all three are the same ... go figure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)