• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bio vs. Modern (1 Viewer)

HSC
Help!! Subject Selection? tossing up between 2 subjects

Confused :S

I seem to always get 90+ in Modern. I don't enjoy it, but don't dislike it. Everybody is saying you need to remember quotes, names, dates. I justed bs in history, even managed to come 1st in the class, twice. I do well in ones revolving around concepts and bs-ing essays, bad at solid facts. Apparently it is easy to get band 4 - 5s. To get band 6, alot of study has to be put in.

For Bio I found and still find it interesting. My effort does not seem to translate into marks though. Especially practicals, argh, seem to be a problem. I got around 80s for year 10.

Currently doing Modern though... Bit of an enigma...

Both have small class sizes. If thats a factor, as they are in the ext subject lines. Also I am doin 2math, 2eng, legal, eco, bus.

Last edited:

B35tY

HSC
lots of factors need considering....

wots ur target UAI? will 80s be good enough for you?

i would tend to pick the subject you enjoy, but i can't really say for sure.

ALso, do you need to do BS and Eco? Perhaps drop one of them and pick up Bio and MH...

i dunno.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i'd pick the subject which u'd prefer
and u do well in

but since you're in a kinda a 2 - way trap , i'd pick bio if i were you.
since i would actualli enjoy the subject and put in the effort to learn where-as modern would be boring as ... and lotsa remembering involved xD

so yeh .. but thats just me :)

elisabeth

HSC
Are either of the teachers particularly good?

I do both subjects, I find bio more interesting and I like the teacher more. Both go off on tangents a lot, but bio is very dot point based, you can always plan ahead and make your own notes. The only thing I would say is there is a LOT of fact based learning involved. Are you good at that?

Personally, if you like it more, I would say go with bio. You'll have to put in a crapload of effort for either subject if you want a brilliant UAI, so at least pick the one you find interesting.

HSC
Cheers. Currently I want to do a BCom, so yeh, the UAI is pretty high... hopefully in NSW or USYD. 97 should cover it and would be brilliant *sigh* I can see the lonely, late nights ahead already. The Bio teacher is slightly better, both are fairly good.

Any ideas...

Last edited:

Scanorama

HSC
Good choice! Tons of essays in modern and according to my friend who did it last year, you have to remember all those places, names and timeline of the events. Politics is another thing you need to study too.

felafel

yeah bio is fun, but mod is very good knowledge

did you consider which subject your school is better at? that'll influence scaling

HSC
Don't both of them have pretty crap scaling. Well, I did not really consider what my school is generally better at. I think the bio canditure is slighty lower, no offense intended. Isn't that generally the case statewide.

hello99999

HSC
i found yr 12 modern really interesting but there is a lot to remember. what elective topics are you doing? russia and cold war are really good, don't know about the rest. but i would have to say, do the subject you prefer. doing a subject that you don't enjoy can be really exhausting, even if you do find yourself getting good marks in it.

felafel

ChilledAmbience said:
Don't both of them have pretty crap scaling. Well, I did not really consider what my school is generally better at. I think the bio canditure is slighty lower, no offense intended. Isn't that generally the case statewide.

hmmm well a lot of people do bio, because it's considered the easiest science

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i agree :p bio sucks
*sighs*

Apparently my school, Giraween (Shithole), did pretty well at both Bio and Modern. In my last lesson of Modern the teacher was bagging me out, poor guy (haha, me or him). I told him his pet subject - History was too dry. Although he did not have the guts to bag me out in my face, though. Then he brought in some tape of Louis Armstrong, which was suprisingly good. Anyway I am sticking to Bio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)