• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Button Cell Help~! (1 Viewer)

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
guys.. if u have time can u plz help me^^
well
i am researching battery dot point..

and i am doign button cell

u guys know anything about
cost and practicality, impact on society and environmental impact
relating to button cell? plz help^^

thx all~!

P

pLuvia

Cost and practicality: It is rather expensive but considering the size of the battery it produces a large of amount of energy than most other batteries. Take a look at the Dry cell, it is quite large but produces quite a small amount of energy

Impact on society: It is rather small and so it is portable it is used widely in watches, calculators, hearing impaired units etc.

Environmental impact: It is quite safe to use. Some one else can expand on this point :p I forgot most of this battery stuff

Hope that helps

Edit: Try using Google, or wikipedia to search for these battery information or better yet use the search function on these forums these questions are bound to be answered once on these forums already :)

HSC
Hey heres some info that i had in my notes, hope its helpful

Button cells are miniaturized cells shaped like a fat metal button to fit into small appliances. Typically they have a stainless steel and plastic case which is filled potent oxidizers and reducers kept separate from each other.

Two of the most commonly used button cells are the mercury (II) and silver oxide-zinc cells. (Also includes the lithium iodine cell)

Chemistry of the cell:
Silver Oxide: Zn --> Zn2+ + 2e-
Ag2O + H2O + 2e- -->2Ag + 2OH-

Mercury Cell: Zn --> Zn2+ + 2e-
HgO + H2O + 2e- --> Hg + 2OH-

Mercury cell- The main disadvantage of this button cell is that when discarded it releases toxic mercury into the environment. They are harmful to organisms including humans if handled or ingested through any form.

Silver oxide cell- They are used in cameras, heart pacemakers and hearing aids. In terms of disposal, silver oxide cells do not produce the highly toxic wastes associated with mercury. However the KOH electrolyte is caustic.

Cost and practicality-
All of these cells are much more expensive than the standard dry cell and alkaline cell. However they last much longer. Eg the mercury cells will hold its voltage and last up to 3 times longer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)