• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can I get a band 6 in English????? (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
I got a terrible mark for my 4th assessment today.'

Here's my overall marks and assumed ranks:

1st assessment - 9/20 (rank 50-60/64)
2nd assessment - 12/15 (rank 15/64)
3rd assessment - 20/30 (rank 31/64)
4th assessment - 12/30 (rank 61/64)

1st, 2nd and 4th assessments are weighed 15% I think. 3rd assessment was the half yearlies and weighed 15-20%.

Can I get a band 6 for English if I did well in the trials and HSC??

I have 1 more upcoming assessment after the trials also.

umz93

HSC
How does your school usually perform?

TBH, from the way things look, you would probably have to get 95+ in each assessment from now on to even have a slight chance at getting a B6.

RANK 1

HSC
How does your school usually perform?

TBH, from the way things look, you would probably have to get 95+ in each assessment from now on to even have a slight chance at getting a B6.
if most of your cohort gets band 6 or high band 5 then u have a decent chance, if not you'll most likely get low band 5 if u go well with hsc and trials(unless u ace them)

jamesfirst

HSC
Cohort seems good. Many are doing well.

But I thought trials had the biggest impact in the internal marks...

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Cohort seems good. Many are doing well.
But I thought trials had the biggest impact in the internal marks...
Trials have the biggest impact on your assessment mark as an INDIVIDUAL task. Trials usually weighting around 30-40% of the assessment mark (at my school anyway, weighting varies from school to school). However, you still have to perform well at the other 70-60% of the assessments in order to perform brilliantly. To ace the Trials by themselves will only have a limited impact on your overall assessment mark.

But it depends on how your school performs as a whole to whether you might get a band 5/6. Though if they're your marks and your school is trying to mark according with HSC standards, I would really be trying to perform brilliantly from now on. I think you'll be capable of a band 5, if you're lucky maybe a 6, but you have to work your hardest from this point onwards.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I say there's a decent chance if your school is top 100 or has traditionally strong english marks, if not you'll need to kill the next assessments.

jamesfirst

HSC
School rank is around 86 I believe...

I think the cohort will do well overall....

Im gonna try to get some extra marks tmr.. Although I dont deserve it since the notes I made for the 4th assessment was from my tutor... And I didnt make my own notes.......

What raw mark in the trials and hsc do I have to achieve in order to get a b6??

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Urgh, just fucking ace the trials and stop worrying.

jamesfirst

HSC
I have to worry bcos I get tutored for eng...

Wouldnt want to waste any money :(

I have to prepare like fk now..... Its rambo mode

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
look u probbly dont want to hear this, but the reality is ur assessment mark will not be 90 or above, but if u do well in trials u can push it up to 85-88 and if you do well in the actual HSC u could get 90. so yeh just be realistic, english is unpredictable.

jamesfirst

HSC
How much of the internal mark gets counted towards the final hsc mark anyway??

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Im gonna try to get some extra marks tmr.. Although I dont deserve it since the notes I made for the 4th assessment was from my tutor... And I didnt make my own notes.......
Yeah, you know, you're the kid that probably gets hated upon my the grade, not so much for maybe doing badly, but more so for whinging about it and trying to scab marks, especially when you admit that you don't deserve it.

What raw mark in the trials and hsc do I have to achieve in order to get a b6??
Given your marks, and your somewhat lame attitude (in getting notes off your tutor, and relying on scabbing marks that you don't deserve to do well), it's unlikely that you'll get a Band 6.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
When your marks are submitted to whoever they send it too, they don't care about your actual mark; but in fact only your ranks. Therefore do not worry about what your current mark is, because it practically gets scraped.

Also from what i have heard you don't necessarily need 90% plus for a band six, as it depends on the difficulty of the exams.

Anyway chill mate, its not the end of the world if you don't get a band 6+

funnytomato

HSC
When your marks are submitted to whoever they send it too, they don't care about your actual mark; but in fact only your ranks. Therefore do not worry about what your current mark is, because it practically gets scraped.

Also from what i have heard you don't necessarily need 90% plus for a band six, as it depends on the difficulty of the exams.

Anyway chill mate, its not the end of the world if you don't get a band 6+

+1

also some one was saying that they into account of the relative gap between ranks as well

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
+1

also some one was saying that they into account of the relative gap between ranks as well
Yes, but if by some chance that gap shortens in the HSC then the gap between HSC is taken into account more.

DOnt worry about marks/aligning/scaling, you cant control it, just do your best and stop complaining about not working hard enough, wont get you anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)