• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can someone clarify this (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
Can some clear this up for me , I am just wondering if the trigonometry topic "Products as sums or differences" and "Sum or differences to products" is in the 3unit syllabus. If it is not does that mean that i would not get tested on it in the hsc.

Also is it useful to learn, even in the case that it is not in the 3 unit syllabus

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
3unit exam test 2unit stuff as well.

i'd say learn it.

vds700

HSC
M@ster P said:
Can some clear this up for me , I am just wondering if the trigonometry topic "Products as sums or differences" and "Sum or differences to products" is in the 3unit syllabus. If it is not does that mean that i would not get tested on it in the hsc.

Also is it useful to learn, even in the case that it is not in the 3 unit syllabus
To answer your question, no, u dont need to know them for 3 nit (check pg 41 of the syllabus, up the top and you'll see).However, if u are thinking of doing 4 unit, then it is essesntial u learn them because they are used a bit in 4 unit.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I wouldn't call it essential. It's a good idea, certainly, but I don't believe I've ever seen them tested in any official capacity.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
They aren't really anything new. They are just expressions with the use of compound angles. I'd say, learn how to derive them, which isn't too hard.

eg.
sin (A + B) = sin A cos B + cos A sin A (1)
sin (A - B) = sin A cos B - cos A sin A (2)

(1) + (2)
sin (A + B) + sin (A - B) = 2 sin A cos B
Therefore, sin A cos B = 1/2 [sin (A + B) + sin (A - B)]

And other expressions can be derived similarly
No need to memorise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)