• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can this be used as a proof? (1 Viewer)

nightweaver066

HSC
If i had this,

Can i prove that those two lines are parallel simply by using the converse of ratio of intercepts on parallel lines? Or do i have to prove similarity and then prove that they are parallel?

Thanks

qawe

HSC
N/A
neither of these. you use this: "the line joining the midpoints of two sides of a triangle is parallel to the 3rd side (and half its length)" - its on the syllabus

nightweaver066

HSC
neither of these. you use this: "the line joining the midpoints of two sides of a triangle is parallel to the 3rd side (and half its length)" - its on the syllabus
It's not joining the midpoints but cutting the two equal sides of an isosceles triangle equally..

thoth1

Banned
HSC
i neva new bout this. tnx

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For 2U maths, yr approach not quite adequate. It is better to:

i) show similarity of 2 triangles by virtue of proportionality of pairs of sides & equality of included angles

ii) then use equality of a pair of corresponding angles to conclude 2 relevant lines are parallel

Last edited:

taeyang

HSC

i) show similarity of 2 triangles by virtue of proportionality of pairs of sides & equality of included angles

ii) then use equality of a pair of corresponding angles to conclude 2 relevant lines are parallel
^This

nightweaver066

HSC

What do you mean for 2U maths?

Do you mean this is not a really suitable way to explain it this way in 2U math but possible in 3U and 4U math?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In this case,(I shouldn't have qualfied it with the 2U), you are almost assuming the very proposition you are trying to prove.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
If your given the points, you can use gradient formula to find the gradient of both lines then it's just m1 = m2

hscishard

HSC
I've seen an answer using the converse. Forgot which book it was from.
Drongoski's method is fail-safe and I would've done that for sure

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If your given the points, you can use gradient formula to find the gradient of both lines then it's just m1 = m2
In Euclidean geometry we don't use gradients. Even if we can, where are we told or how do we know m1 = m2?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)