• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chemical additives in water (1 Viewer)

sychikmoron

Is there any other chemical additives in water other than chlorine, monochloramine and flouride? If so could you please tell me as I desperately need to find some chemical additives in water.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
sychikmoron said:
Is there any other chemical additives in water other than chlorine, monochloramine and flouride? If so could you please tell me as I desperately need to find some chemical additives in water.
For the CMM syllabus, we don't need to elaborate on additives in water any further than what you have mentioned. But here's a list of additives in water and their purposes:
  • Chlorine - to disinfect the water by killing micro-organisms such as E. coli.
  • Various hypochlorites (OCl-) - same reason as previous.
  • Ammonia - to produce chloramines, which maintain the disinfection action of chlorine.
  • Buffering chemicals - such as carbonates and hydroxides, in order to achieve and maintain the required pH (7 - 8.5).
  • Fluoride - to achieve the fluorine level of 1ppm. This level prevents tooth decay.
  • Oxygen via aeration - if you count it as an additive, it is to oxidise iron salts (which make the water yellow and taste metallic).
  • FeCl3 or Al2(SO4)3 - act as flocculants which cause small suspended particles to coagulate.
Hope that helped. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)