• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cold war game! (1 Viewer)

jgirl:).....

hehe i wanna do one 4 cold war!!!
question 1.) what were the siginifcances of the summit meetings. Did they add or reduce cold war tensions?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
i really hope they dont ask anythign on Summit meetings.. its such a weak topic..

yeah they reduced tensions by allowing diplomatic negotiations, arms reductions, discussions and shit to take place..

argh, i hate it in modern wen they give u a question thas really not wat u wanted..

question 2) briefly discuss the progression of US nuclear war strategy from 1945 to the late 1980s, giving reasons for changes in strategy

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
many summit meetings happened around the period of detente, they originally helped to reduce tensions, but in the last few summit meetings of this period things became tense again as each side pushed harder for their interests.

emily

wouldn't have a clue about nuclear war strategy!!

um... there was MAD (Eisenhower etc), Cuba changed things i think - flexible response etc, then came detente so wanted to get rid of stuff, then of course Regan's SDI royally screwed things up.

ok, why did detente fail to end the cold war??

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
because detente ended..

Reagan came into power in the US, hyped up the anti commie rhetoric, upped the ante in propaganda and the arms race

the hawkish elements in the Kremlin saw the US as weakening in their stance on containment, as the US supported Shah in Iran was outed by teh fundamentalist Ayatollah, which also lead to fears of the same thing happening in Afghanistan, so they abandoned economic reforms to fight war against the MUjahideen fighters in Afghanistan, which is all part of the US sphere of interest, outlined in both the Eisenhower and Carter Doctrines.

Carter pissed the USSR off by lecturing them on human rights, also appeared a soft target, bit naive, especially after US loss in Vietnam.

The US didn't ratify SALT 2, relations were worsened and the arms race started up again..

i dunno exactly how to answer that question, apart from just explaning why detente ended..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Dtente was merely a transient state of affairs rather than a solution. Both sides had radically different views and understandings of dtente, inevitably leading to misunderstandings of ojectives and therefore conflict.

edit: this doesn't really answer the question, but you get the idea. I still don't deserve to pose a new question though :)

Last edited:

emily

i hae to say i don't really know either!

guess that yeah, detente was the first step towards a peaceful resolution however ended for reasons mentioned blah, the eventual end to the cold war came about because of blah (maybe shove in a historian that says it only happened coz of Gorby here, therfore as gorby wasn't in charge during detente...) sum up, detente ended withouth resolving the cold war, however can be seen as the first step on the road, it eventually ended due to collapse of sovs etc.

ok, new question!!

jgirl:).....

Explain the significance of the arms race in increasing tensions, specifilcally focusing on period from 1962 on wards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)