• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Colleges (accomodation) (2 Viewers)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I have a few questions on accomodation at UNSW.

Could someone give a brief (objective) description of the colleges (new college, Kensinton, warrane) and what they are like. ie. ppl living there, room standards, etc.

The rooms are assigned by UAI, Right?

Where is cheepest?

Which has best food?

if any one has any other questions post here.

i should have went there on expo day....

thanks!

s2ophie

HSC
umm i don't think they are assigned by UAI...

I went to the kenso colleges at the open day, they were very dated but i spose they were ok. if you go to the UNSW website you can find all the relevant info.

s2ophie

HSC
is anyone here applying to the colleges? if so which ones?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm applying to Shalom at UNSW and St John's at Sydney, because they are both small, quiet, and well equipped. I chose these two for purposes of a studious and quiet "home" life whilst at uni (since I'm not a partygoer or anything).

s2ophie

HSC
yeah but its just been renovated so it should be nice.

I am applying for New and the Kenso colleges at UNSW

SoFTuaRiaL

the college admissions arent based on UAI. they do take ur academic capabilities into consideration, but also look at extra curricular activities and stuff .....

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Quote:
"Offers are not made
on a first in first served basis or based only on the applicant's UAI (Universities Admission Index)"

I'm bad at reading....

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Shalom College is cool - they have those cement dome things out the front :)

- AND ITS NEAR MACCAS! :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by christ_ine
Shalom College is cool - they have those cement dome things out the front :)

- AND ITS NEAR MACCAS! :D
Haha yeah, they told me about "Shalom's Kitchen" ;)

s2ophie

HSC
has anyone else got offered interviews for colleges yet? i got a letter about New College and Philip Baxter so fingers crossed i get in one of them!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
has anyone else got offered interviews for colleges yet? i got a letter about New College and Philip Baxter so fingers crossed i get in one of them!
don't they interview everyone....

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
don't they interview everyone....
i don't know. they say they have completed my prelimiary application. Kensington colleges get something like 2000 applications, i don't know if they would interview them all.

Daedalus

i did some research about kensington college (asking friend some qs) and was appalled and disgusted.

Facts

****Not allowed to use outside ISP. Internet is 4.4c/mb!!!
****Each room gets own phoneline, but calls outside uni are expensive. friend's phone bill is $50 a month.
****There are supervisors. They impose totalitarian control and bans, such as alcohol bans and a limit on sleepovers. They also impose curfews on Mon to Wed after 11pm.
****Common room is only 10 square metres
****If u do the wrong thing u get fined. friends neighbour got fined $2000 for making too much noise. Another person got fined for drinking. NOT A TYPO. THE FINE WAS $2000. IF U DONT PAY U DONT GRADUATE.
****No bed time. (finally, a positive)

EDIT: doesnt this sound like military school? </EDIT>

My Interpretation

The fact that the application form is structured like a scholarship application shows that the owners are trying to filter out particular ppl. Whilst these actions may be ethical for a scholarships board, since it is their right to choose who they give FREE money to, it is very unethical and discriminatory when carried out by people to offer services for a fee, and make a profit in doing so.
In particular, the question describe why you would like to live in the Kensington college, as well as your views on the value of college living is very concerning. It shows that the owners desire to impose such as high amount of control that even a persons innermost thoughts and feelings must meet certain criteria. Evidence of this includes the presence of supervisors, curfews, bans, and even FINES such as $2000!.
It is sickening and disgraceful how this system works. Many people move out of home and go to uni expecting to get a more free and independent life. Instead, they move out of home into college, into a life with even more rules, regulations and lack of independency.

At home, do parents fine you for doing the wrong thing? Do parents impose curfews and bans? Are you limited to using an expensive phoneline, and expensive ISP?

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
a) You have backed up NOTHING

b) The form is thus structured because of the huge applicant to roooms ratio. Colleges are popular for reasons other than apparent freedoms, and more often than not students will remain in a college beyond their contractual obligation because they are satisfied.

c) Colleges are an option amongst many in student accomodation, and they are distinctly different to rental properties because they offer a prop in the form of structure and restriction. Many students would be absolutely hopeless if they had to leave home but were simply not ready for total independence. If the college does impose fines it would have to be for such offences as would receive a similar punishment in the "real world". Students in colleges, like anyone else, must learn to live by enforced rules, and the colleges ensure that they do.

d) Did you consider the main directive of the colleges is "to foster a studious and lively environment by boarding a diverse array of students with many backgrounds and interests"? Because that is, to me, a very clear and reasonable explanation of the college application questionaire. Would you go to the college if they only took on boring nerdy fobs? No offence to foreigners intended, of course. Really, colleges have to wade through thousands of applications each year, and it would appall many more people if they relied on academic merit alone to select the succesful lodgers. The current system means that people from any background with any interest can live on campus, meet other students and live in a more challenging and unpredictable environment. Of course the college will take measures to ensure such an outcome!

Daedalus

Originally posted by Lexicographer
a) You have backed up NOTHING
ok which part of my post is FALSE? and why is it FALSE? if any is false that means my friend is a liar, and y would he lie?

b) The form is thus structured because of the huge applicant to roooms ratio. Colleges are popular for reasons other than apparent freedoms, and more often than not students will remain in a college beyond their contractual obligation because they are satisfied.
ok, i agree that not everyone can be accepted cause there isnt enouhg room. But y discrimiate based on answers such as "why do u want to live in a college"? what if i answered "cause i dont want to live on the street"?

c) Colleges are an option amongst many in student accomodation, and they are distinctly different to rental properties because they offer a prop in the form of structure and restriction. Many students would be absolutely hopeless if they had to leave home but were simply not ready for total independence. If the college does impose fines it would have to be for such offences as would receive a similar punishment in the "real world". Students in colleges, like anyone else, must learn to live by enforced rules, and the colleges ensure that they do.
um...if u live in your own house u wont get fined for making noise... the only way u would get into trouble for noise is that if u made it excessively, so much so that neighbours (who are in different houses) can hear it and complain. In college any little bit of noise will pass into the next room.
In your own house are there alcohol bans? Are there curfews? Are there supervisors?

d) Did you consider the main directive of the colleges is "to foster a studious and lively environment by boarding a diverse array of students with many backgrounds and interests"? [/B]
ah, diverse backgrounds. doesnt that mean it shoud try to include a diverse range of ppl, such as quiet ppl, loud ppl, ppl who study, ppl who dont, alcoholics, ppl who dont drink, religious ppl, atheists, ppl with extreme apathy and dont contribute to anything, sporty ppl, ppl who sleep all day etc etc

is this true? do they include this diversity? The form seems to filter out all but 1 type of person. Is this diversity?

Last edited:

Daedalus

also, u havnt rebutted:

****Not allowed to use outside ISP. Internet is 4.4c/mb!!!

$2000 fine.

even the police dont fine u that much

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Daedalus
ok which part of my post is FALSE? and why is it FALSE? if any is false that means my friend is a liar, and y would he lie?
You don't seem to understand. You haven't given anything to back up your statements, so why should we believe you over everyone else in this forum, as well as the colleges (and by extension the UNIVERSITIES) themselves?
ok, i agree that not everyone can be accepted cause there isnt enouhg room. But y discrimiate based on answers such as "why do u want to live in a college"? what if i answered "cause i dont want to live on the street"?
Give an example of discrimination based on this question. I personally queried this question on both my college application forms, and was told that they use it to judge the type of person they are admitting. They have every right to do this, because they are responsible for the wellbeing of students living at the college, and must therefore ensure that people who have ideals incongruous with the needs of other students are not admitted. The needs of the student body are far more important than the expectations of the few who are rejected.
um...if u live in your own house u wont get fined for making noise... the only way u would get into trouble for noise is that if u made it excessively, so much so that neighbours (who are in different houses) can hear it and complain. In college any little bit of noise will pass into the next room.
In your own house are there alcohol bans? Are there curfews? Are there supervisors?
Have you not realised that there is simply no comparuson between living in college and living at home? Your parents do not own a residential college! You are living as a tenant in an independent housing unit, a commercial service provided by a seperate entity. You are living there as a customer, not a family member. You need to realise that the comparison should really be with RENTAL PROPERTY to understand where they are coming from. In rental properties (especially apartments) there are definitely sound restrictions. Consult any rental contract and it will be bleedingly obvious. As for the "in your own house..." comment, yes, many parents impose strict rules on curfew and alcohol. Your PARENTS are the supervisors, and if your parents have never had restrictive rules regarding your behaviour then I am worried for you.
ah, diverse backgrounds. doesnt that mean it shoud try to include a diverse range of ppl, such as quiet ppl, loud ppl, ppl who study, ppl who dont, alcoholics, ppl who dont drink, religious ppl, atheists, ppl with extreme apathy and dont contribute to anything, sporty ppl, ppl who sleep all day etc etc

is this true? do they include this diversity? The form seems to filter out all but 1 type of person. Is this diversity?
The fundamental purpose of residential colleges is to provide lodging for students of university. Hence, if there are lodgers who will DISRUPT the studies (what everyone is there for after all) of other lodgers then I see it as perfectly legitimate that they are excluded. You can't expect people who are PAYING to live on campus to put up with people preventing a healthy student lifestyle, including both leisure and study.

You mentioned loud people and alcoholics? These are certainly admitted, though I sincerely hope they are swiftly ejected. They have no place living in such close proximity to people who want to do some work. However, you also mentioned the various ranges of interest (sport, religion, contribution to college life, study) and those who do or do not. Have you walked into a college? Or, did your friend say that any of these people are NOT included? Because if you believe that colleges exclude any of the above I seriously doubt you have ever come into contact with them at all.
Not allowed to use outside ISP. Internet is 4.4c/mb!!!

$2000 fine.
Why should I refute what you have yet to prove? Give some evidence of these things (and indeed anything you have said) and then we'll have more than just your friend's potentially tainted word to go by. Find me the documentation that states what the college charges for internet access, or that students may not find their own ISP, or that they may be fined such amounts.

edit: I am interested to find out what your friend (whose monthly phone bill is $50) is actually charged for. The university phones (including college phones) are all hooked up to the Telstra network, like any other in their respective suburbs (Kensington, Kingsford, Camperdown, Darlington etc) and are hence charged normal call fees. Perhaps your friend makes 200 local calls a month, because (at local call rate $0.25 per call) this is all it would take to hit $50. That's only around 6 calls a day, which is not too unreasonable for a university student. If they make calls outside Sydney, or to information services, their bill jumps significantly.

Last edited:

Daedalus

very well. i have emailed them.

can ppl who are in those colleges verify teh internet charges, and fines?

and lexi, i WAS referring to rental properties when i made my comparism. im saying to be in trouble due to noise, u would have to make much mroe noise in a rental property than in college, because of the closer proximity of people in colleges. I dont make enough noise to wake neighbours living in the house next to me, but if i watch movies or play games, then yes, the person in the next room can hear

and about the discrimination based on the q "why do u want to live in a college?", i have no specific example. i was merely saying that this question is pointless. Who will answer "when i come to college, i will make an effort to disrupt everyone"?

adn the question "what are your views on college life?" is worse. I agree that ppl should be discriminated by their actions, but to discriminate by thought is wrong. ppl are free to have whatever views they want without being discriminated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)