• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Combined degrees (1 Viewer)

abcdeg

HSC
i can't seem to make up my mind between doing a combined degree and normal three year degree. I think i'd get a mucher broader knowledge base with a combined degree and get the opportunity to learn about a number of areas that interest me however people have been telling me that it's not that great because by the end of 3rd year all your friends are leaving and you're still stuck in uni.

is anybody doing a combined degree here? if so, would you agree that it's better to just do a normal 3 year degree or is combined fine?

thankyou!!

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
abcdeg said:
i can't seem to make up my mind between doing a combined degree and normal three year degree. I think i'd get a mucher broader knowledge base with a combined degree and get the opportunity to learn about a number of areas that interest me however people have been telling me that it's not that great because by the end of 3rd year all your friends are leaving and you're still stuck in uni.

is anybody doing a combined degree here? if so, would you agree that it's better to just do a normal 3 year degree or is combined fine?

thankyou!!
hey there
um, i dont think that its a good idea to choose the 3 year one based on friends and things. double degree might be a good idea + you can always internally (or externally :) ) transfer later on if you want to. but its entirely up to you...

danielvh

HSC
Good reasons to do a double degree:
- If you're truly passionate about a number of areas and you won't be able to cover them in a single degree.
- If it'll significantly help you in your career (weigh against extra cost of uni plus loss of salary from not working after). Reasons why it could benefit are allowing you to study relevant areas in more depth or allowing you to gain more experience through things like internships and so on.

Bad reasons to do a double
- Because parents/frends tell you it's a good idea
- Because you don't know what you want to do and figure this will give you more time (this is my opinion. Some feel that doing this is a good idea).
- Because your friends are doing a double and you want to hang out with them for longer.

The fac ttat friends will ifnish in 3 years shouldn't stop you. What difference does this make? It's not like you can't see them once they start working.

If it makes a difference: I'm doing a double in economics and commerce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)