• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

commerce and science 4 yrs (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
hi ppl

in the uac guide the commerce and science combined course is for 4 yrs,
but all the other unis like uts, sydney , macquarie have it for 5 yrs,

why is it for 4 yrs at unsw, was it previously for five yrs???

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
no, its quite gay actually.. I was gonna do com/sci.. but they won't let you do a double major in commerce if you do choose to do a combine degree..

so I asked syd if I can do double major in com/sci.. and they simply said.. "if you can fit it in".

Naturally, commerce at unsw is better.. and since my focus is commerce.. I chose to 'screw' science in the end...

Affinity

HSC
Com/Sci is 4 years here coz it's really tight... double majors are almost surely out of the question. You have 24 UOC that is about 1 semester worth of subjects for electives, whereas in other universities with 5 years you will have a bit more flexibility

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
If you have a look at the required Unit of credits required in order to get a major for USYD and compare it to UNSW you will see why USYD sucks :p

USYD hands out majors like candy, have less core subjects and require less UOC to get a major.
It is quite possible to finish a three year degree with three or even four majors for commerce at USYD, it doesn't mean you know more, just means you have a basic understanding of three different things. Where as at UNSW you can do maximum two in three years and you will end up with much greater depth of knowledge in the two.

Affinity

HSC
think 3 majors is possible:
7 ACCT subjects
7 ECON
7 some other major
+ gened..
think you have 1 extra subject left to pick

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
QMA/B counted towards ECON major? If it's not then you're one subject short I think.

Affinity

HSC
well.. according to the book(my interpretation) it works.. since it's 7 courses
check out with faculty...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Affinity said:
think 3 majors is possible:
7 ACCT subjects
7 ECON
7 some other major
+ gened..
think you have 1 extra subject left to pick
Yeh i was thinking that the other day - 3 majors is possible (but not for those who want to do CPA/CA), but you'd have to pick the right subjects at the right time, and besides, i dont think they'll award you with 3 majors anyway - You might have to choose 2 ?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
You can't graduate from UNSW Commerce with more than two majors, or more than one major plus one minor on your testamur.

For example, if you are going for CA/CPA, even though you complete a minor in Business Law and Taxation, you don't get a minor if you are getting a double major.

However, there's nothing stopping you from doing a triple major, its just that one of the majors will not count towards your degree.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
The Commerce faculty is a stickler for the rules when it comes to majorsr/prereqs/the other admin rubbish. You can pick up a 3rd major through your Science degree (it could fit as for many majors the 1st and 2nd yr subjects can count to are common)

beverly

HSC
N/A
i know this is a delayed response, but im a 2nd yr Comm/Sci working out my majors, and i can fit in a double commerce major (accounting + marketing) and the usual single major for the science, and i was wondering if this is allowed/recognised?

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
beverly said:
i know this is a delayed response, but im a 2nd yr Comm/Sci working out my majors, and i can fit in a double commerce major (accounting + marketing) and the usual single major for the science, and i was wondering if this is allowed/recognised?
Impossible!
I asked the question directly at the lecturer at one of those info lects.
His reply was a short 'no'.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
You can get doube major in Science but not in Commerce. Also, since the FCE is the course authority for BCom/BSc, the final word rests with them.

beverly

HSC
N/A
but...impossible in which way :shy: sorry i probably sound like a pain, but ive written out my whole program and how i can fit it in the whole 4 yrs, so its obviously not impossible to do all the units? i do understand theyre likely not to recognise the double major (in which case ill just take the marketing as a minor, despite having finished all the courses), or is it impossible in that they will not let you use all your 4 course extras on commerce (more specifically all on marketing in my case)

also, how is it possible to do a double major in science :confused: running down the list, it seems all the majors require atleast 13 courses? or is it because most of the 1st stage courses overlap for majors?

sorry, thats long, but as you can tell i need all the help i can get (or atleast direction to a very helpful source at uni)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)