• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Comp Sci Help!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

GaZ_2004

HSC
1stly any students doin comp sci @ UNSW, i just wanna say a big hallo...^^ but ne ways i have no idea wat subjects to choose 4 comp sci wats the difference between computing 1a and higher computing 1a they say u should get a >97 to do the latter but does this really matter? also wat maths should I choose i only did 3unit so i guess i just do mathematics? n 1 final thing wat is psychlogy the subject like? is it a lot of writing statistics....

thanks ppl btw the UNSw is crap n confusing, not user friendly at all....

shannonm

HSC
N/A
hi
like sunny says now your a uni student you need to be able to do stuff for yourself, this involves trivial tasks like enrolling.
you'll be fine just doing maths 1a (MATH1131) and maths 1b in session 2 (MATH1231)
as for computing 1a, the mere fact that you need assistance in enrolling suggests to me computing 1a (COMP1011) and not the higher alternative will suit you perfectly.
as for psychology, well there are alot of females in those classes (if you are into that sort of thing), so i recommend it for your first year electives

sunny

meh.
HSC
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/undergrad/programs/bsccs.html

Pretty much everything you need to know about comp sci.

I would like to make a general comment about people who do not like to use myUNSW.

If you feel that myUNSW is not user friendly, it is most likely because you have not read the required information beforehand. There are step by step tutorials on the website teaching you how to use it, links to important dates, links to the Virtual Handbook. It is in short, the ultimate student information resource for UNSW.

All you need to do is to read and search it.

If you think that myUNSW is terrible, it has come a long way. Two/three years ago an older system called NSS was being used, and basically a dumbed down version of myUNSW. There was no centralised source of information, enrolling online was next to impossible because no one knew how to use NSS properly, and NSS frequently gave pathetic errors that made no sense, it wouldn't stop you enrolling yourself in something stupid, and getting a timetable done took a day or two compared to 5 minutes on myUNSW.

Please, the information is all there. Give it a read and learn how to use it before you come to conclusions.

Last edited:

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
just go through the steps and it will get to a thing where is says do you wish to transfer, or something along those lines, and then you select which one you want

doingHSC

HSC
i forgot to add 1 more question:

for COMP1711 Higher Computing 1A

it says "Assumed Knowledge: There is no specific assumed knowledge. We suggest this course be taken by those with HSC Maths 2 and 3 units: (145-150), or 3& 4 unit Maths (186-200), or UAI > 97"

so if u didnt get any of these criteria can u still do it? and am i allowed to do COMP1721 Higher Computing 1B in S2 if i do COMP1011 Computing 1A in S1?

thanks for all ur help in advance

J0n

N/A
HSC
Also, can I take comp1711 instead of comp1011, even though it only mentions comp1011 in my course program (Advanced Science maj Computer Sci and Math)?

sunny

meh.
HSC
itsme said:
for COMP1711 Higher Computing 1A

it says "Assumed Knowledge: There is no specific assumed knowledge. We suggest this course be taken by those with HSC Maths 2 and 3 units: (145-150), or 3& 4 unit Maths (186-200), or UAI > 97"

so if u didnt get any of these criteria can u still do it?
Yes you can still do it if you don't meet those requirements.

itsme said:
and am i allowed to do COMP1721 Higher Computing 1B in S2 if i do COMP1011 Computing 1A in S1?
Yes, if you score a DN (75) or above in 1011.

sunny

meh.
HSC
J0n said:
Also, can I take comp1711 instead of comp1011, even though it only mentions comp1011 in my course program (Advanced Science maj Computer Sci and Math)?
Yes. 1711 supercedes and excludes 1011.

doingHSC

HSC
ohk thankyou very much. and is it harder to get 75 in higher computing or is there some sort of scaling to make it fair?

sunny

meh.
HSC
itsme said:
ohk thankyou very much. and is it harder to get 75 in higher computing or is there some sort of scaling to make it fair?
Yes there is scaling to standardise normal and higher computing.

gman03

HSC
sunny said:
Yes. 1711 supercedes and excludes 1011.
On top of scalling, 1711 teach more stuffs more than 1011 and the assignments for 1711 require much more work to complete than those in 1011. Really 1711 are for those who interest in functional programming not (in my opinion) solely for mark scaling.

There are other posts about 1711 and its lecturer in this forum which might influence your decision.

On the other hand, I think this thread should be moved into the "Computing" forum. wink wink

EDIT: Those UAI thingy about 1711 is meaningless as I think they just don't want to overload student with too much work .

Last edited:

grimreaper

HSC
Hmm well I chose higher computing and higher maths. I got 192\200 in total for ext 2 maths but I did absolutely no computing in the hsc and dont know much at all about programming... Would I still be able to cope with higher computing?

sunny

meh.
HSC
grimreaper said:
I did absolutely no computing in the hsc and dont know much at all about programming... Would I still be able to cope with higher computing?
1711 is taught assuming no prior programming experience although it does help. If you a bright and eager student there is nothing stopping you. As a matter of fact non programmers might actually do better than students with programming experience because of the nature of the work taught.

doingHSC

HSC
hey, i cant find this info on the unsw site, so could some one pleas explain or link it to me-- "would i have any restrictions wen selecting my subjects if i do double degree sci(comp sci)/science compared to single degree computer science or just science?"

doingHSC

HSC
hi, I've got a question----when you graduate do the employers care whether you did 1011 or 1711? like do you have an advantage if you did 1711 instead of 1011 (in terms of jobs and future study--like in 2nd year uni etc.)

sunny

meh.
HSC
doingHSC said:
hi, I've got a question----when you graduate do the employers care whether you did 1011 or 1711? like do you have an advantage if you did 1711 instead of 1011 (in terms of jobs and future study--like in 2nd year uni etc.)
Employers wouldn't know the difference!

In future years of uni having done higher courses does help - you would have a much better background knowledge than normal students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)