• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Computer DYING! (2 Viewers)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Ok ... i got Adaware 6 and found 188 files that were 'susicous' so i quarenined and then deleted them... my internet stopped working and Norton Anti Virus 2002 started to die. I un-quarentined the files, but the problem persisted... i system restored to the day before and still fricked ADDITIONALLY: i cant open system resotre, system information, activate windows, help and support, or search functions. Clocksync and windows media player are also missing ....

The error that was coming up before read of a problem like: "Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services" ... thats real bad, Im assuming.

Well ... it turned out that norton was still somehow installed ... so i managed to TRUELY get rid of it and now the internet works again :):) ... but the rest of the comp is stuffed.... ?!?!?!?!

Ac

Merforga

Hm.....interesting problem. Well the internet works so that's the most important thing eh? ;). Well the way i see it, you have 2 pretty high chance alternatives.

1) Get a copy of windows 2000/xp or whatever you're running and reinstall. It should fix most of your problems while keeping your reg details and the like intact.

2) Reformat and do everything over again...i believe in this phrase :
"A format a quarter keeps the expenses away" ^^

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well back up every thing u need onto a second hard disk or partition, DVD-r ,CD-r or USB drive..

then
unless ure real persistant.. then u can try and go thru the error messages and sort the problem out with the help avail on the net bout the problem.. especially if its specific.. guessing winXP

otherwise format is the quickest soln.. and clean install..
just BACK UP all the stuff u need!?

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Merforga said:
Indeed the best way but resetting all the reg settings are what's a real pain in the bum and most time consuming.

what does Start/ run .... sfc /scannow do?

Someone told me to do that ... i did, but it wouldnt read the files off the xo cd so i just pressed "retry" again and again and it eventually finished .... with no changes

Ac

Merforga

Lord Ac said:
what does Start/ run .... sfc /scannow do?

Someone told me to do that ... i did, but it wouldnt read the files off the xo cd so i just pressed "retry" again and again and it eventually finished .... with no changes

Ac
It's a system files scanner. It scans all the Windows system files on your computer and then compares them with the files on the installation CD. If any of the files are corrupted or altered then they get replaced with the default files. I'm guessing there were no changes because the diagnostic couldnt read any of the default files on the XP cd so it skipped them.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Do ur self a favour and fork our the money for a new version of norton or some verison of anti-virius software... if u dun have up to date software and definitions any viriuses or nasty programs can get thro....so in the end its worth the money and it will safe u a lot of probs....

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Ahh well, the format went well ('well' as in as well as any heart transplant can go).

So yeh ,,, thanks all.

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)