• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Computing (1 Viewer)

Geologic

Banned
HSC
So have been putting of doing the standard computing course: computing for engineers (ENGG1811); Computing 1 (COMP1911) or Higher Computing 1 (COMP1917).

Reason is that, although reasonable at computers, am afraid of it being intense programming languages and computer architecture type work. I am afraid.

- Which of these is the easiest? (guide is ambiguous)
- What sort of programming do they cover?
- What preparation can you do to get a head start?

:tree: kthnxbai

LordPc

HSC
So have been putting of doing the standard computing course: computing for engineers (ENGG1811); Computing 1 (COMP1911) or Higher Computing 1 (COMP1917).

Reason is that, although reasonable at computers, am afraid of it being intense programming languages and computer architecture type work. I am afraid.

1911 is definately easier than 1917 since 1911 covers the same content as 1917 just slower to give you more time to learn content. ive not done 1811, but i believe that if you do 1811 and want to do more computing, the next step is 1911 which implies a hierarchy of

1917 > 1911 > 1811

i think 1811 teaches visual basic. 1911 and 1917 both cover C

1911 and 1917 cover syntax, so basically you learn that if you this then the computer will do this and if you type that then the computer will do that. its very much like you are using MS Word and you are learning that if you press the "B" button, then your words will become bold, and if you press the "I" button, your words will have an angle and if you press Ctrl+shift+left arrow key, you highlight a word

head start, well you can go and start learning the languages yourself. its not hard, but there are a lot of bad tutorials out there and the compiler aspect can be a little weird. here is the best tutorial though :D

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

final advice would be to relax, the computing courses have no assumed knowledge, they start from scratch (they usually make a joke that if you dont know how to use a mouse or keyboard, they will teach you that too) and the courses are not really hard core at all, thats a misconception, especially when you consider that a lot of 1st years take one of these computing courses so it cant be too hard

Uncle

Banned
HSC

hahaha, ENGG1811

They cover Visual Basic, however it's a specific variant of VB called VBA,
Visual Basic for Applications.
You will use VBA in Microsoft Excel 2003 because they are hesitant to use the .xlsx format in 2007.
You will learn about logic, manipulation of elements of spreadsheets and problem solving with VBA.
You should refer to the next answer.

Try and have a look at ENGG1811 run in previous sessions.
A way to do this is to use URLs like this:

https://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~en1811cgi/09s1/

That means you will access ENGG1811 run this year in Session 1.

Change the 09s1 to the desired year and session.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)