• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Concerned about the effect of my art major on my ATAR? (1 Viewer)

samopperman11

HSC
So I am doing the subjects of visual arts, english advanced, mathematics general, modern history, extension history and 2 unit studies of religion. I am currently coming first in my year for 10 best units. However, with my art major work, I have become increasingly anxious about it. I am drawing on wood panels and I don't work very fast, so the original plan has had to be cut down A LOT. My art teacher doesn't like me very much and we don't have a particularly helpful relationship (she is the sort of teacher who lets her personal feelings affect marks). At the moment every time I sit down to do my major I feel really ill, and I'm so worried that it is going to make me crap out in my ATAR. I need to get atleast 91 for the course I want to do. My question is, if say I get a band 4 in my major work (dropping down from an expected band 6 as I was told I would get with my original plan), is it going to stop me from getting this ATAR regardless of how well I am doing in my other subjects? I'm good at art theory and so I know I'll be relatively okay in the exam, its just my major that is worrying me. Does anyone know how much it contributes to my final ATAR result?
thanks so much.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
So I am doing the subjects of visual arts, english advanced, mathematics general, modern history, extension history and 2 unit studies of religion. I am currently coming first in my year for 10 best units. However, with my art major work, I have become increasingly anxious about it. I am drawing on wood panels and I don't work very fast, so the original plan has had to be cut down A LOT. My art teacher doesn't like me very much and we don't have a particularly helpful relationship (she is the sort of teacher who lets her personal feelings affect marks). At the moment every time I sit down to do my major I feel really ill, and I'm so worried that it is going to make me crap out in my ATAR. I need to get atleast 91 for the course I want to do. My question is, if say I get a band 4 in my major work (dropping down from an expected band 6 as I was told I would get with my original plan), is it going to stop me from getting this ATAR regardless of how well I am doing in my other subjects? I'm good at art theory and so I know I'll be relatively okay in the exam, its just my major that is worrying me. Does anyone know how much it contributes to my final ATAR result?
thanks so much.
It depends on how well you're going with your other subjects. But the odds are heavily against you given you do general maths, visual arts and SOR. Your hope is to nail English Adv. and Extension history.

Good luck!

samopperman11

HSC
why does general maths mean the odds are heavily against me? I know someone who got a 98 ATAR and he did general maths. And no, he didn't get 100% in every exam. Also, 2 unit SOR is one of the best scaling subjects at our school. 1 unit isn't, but 2 is.
I just don't understand why those subjects would pull me down. Can you explain more?

FreeLearner

HSC
General maths will pull ya down, because even if you were to get 100 in general it scales like 91. And it aint easy to get 100 :p, you can get 95 though im sure. And then Visual arts doesn't have the best scaling. So, you're gambling on how well you can do in Eng Advanced and extension and modern is okay and also religion, just aim for 90s for them and surely you can get 91, but you MUST get 90+ for those other subjects :/ , good luck!

FreeLearner

HSC
Oh yes, 1more thing It also depends highly on how bad you get in your Visual arts, because you can still get pretty good and It won't do much damage :), but yh you should aim for everything high Band 5 and the subjects your good at Band 6 , it should be enough :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)