• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Considering changing subjects, in my position would you? (1 Viewer)

pigas

HSC
Ok so I picked PDHPE (theory) because:

a) in year 10 I liked the work and it was interesting
b) I thought it would be pretty easy for me

However after 4 lessons I just don't feel so engaged in class. I don't know if I should give it more time but I don't' want to wait too long to change subjects. I guess the work is easy, I don't know, since as I said I'm not really so engaged in the work.

I can change this subject to biology (my friend has this subject while I have PDHPE) so I would be moved to her class if I did.
I wanted to pick biology initially however I'm just really scared that I won't do well in it, resulting in a low ATAR. I'm not so good at science. However I do remember getting 22/25 in a biology test last year, which is pretty good for me I guess. out of the science topics I'm good at biology. Plus I have an interest in it so I think I will be more eager to learn. I even studied a bit of biology for fun over the holidays because I was bored!

However a down side is that the teacher will be this one that talks about stuff off topic for 80% of the time, hands out worksheets and rushes through the work.

I really don't know what to do, I was hoping year 11 and 12 I would just have subjects that I'd be happy to even RUN (well not literally lol) to class because I'd be interested and eager to learn. I don't feel that way about PDHPE but there are quite a few pros and cons.

If you were in my situation would you change it? Any advice?

EDIT: I'm thinking that I may not be so interested in PDHPE also because the work is possibly too easy. Maybe it's just because it's the start. but it's just things like 'what is fitness' and stuff which is pretty basic. maybe I should stick with it because it's easy. IDK T_T

Last edited:
R

RishadM

Biology isn't too hard of a HSC subject - I think there a only a couple of difficult concepts in there and a few parts where you just gotta memorize bits of info. The rest of it is pretty easy to understand if you spend the time to learn it. And the HSC bio course does actually cover a wide area of content and since you like bio, it would be interesting for you.
I'm also pretty sure that Bio would be a better subject than PDHPE if you want to maximize your ATAR. And like you said, you have a genuine interest in Bio, and that's definitely one of the most important things. For Bio, my teacher used to have to repeat the same lessons over and over, because (no offense to my class), my class was not the brightest and so I had to sit through repeats of Bio lessons that I already knew. And at the end of the day, while a good teacher does help - how good you are comes down to how much you put in to that subject anyways. I would take Bio over PDHPE - also if your friend is in Bio too, that would keep your mood up I guess.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
PE to me was shit until I dropped it, bio is easy but I don't really like it anymore either... but I would definitely say Bio > PE. Plus if you hate questions like what is health/fitness you're going to loathe PE because from my experience it dosen't get any better.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I have just started biology for me preliminary HSC. I am quite enjoying the subject it is basically year 7-10 biology, but more in-depth. It is a 'note based' subject so It is important to constantly revise and summarize your syllabus dot-points. If it gets too difficult you can always drop to senior science. It is important to choose subjects that you both like, and go well at to maximize your ATAR.

pigas

HSC
thanks for the advice everyone - I gave in a note today to change to biology, the only problem now is that the class may possibly be full. So once they get it sorted, I will know in about a week if I can change or not. they're taking a long time - on the first day I changed one of my subjects and now it's been almost 2 weeks and they still haven't changed it. -.-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)