• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Contract law problem question (1 Viewer)

sarahmk

HSC
hi guys i know this is desperate but thats what i am i am going crazy iv got a question that needs to be in for tommorow iv tried and tried but im getting no where here it is

Alex was low on printer ink and had to print his dissertation that day. His flat mate Brenda was going to offer Alex her spare cartridge for “around the 18pound mark” Alex said he would let her know if he run out of ink that day. Brenda left for work Alex went to the shops, and while out he realized he probably had less ink that he thought and left a message on Brenda phone saying he was desperate and had left 15pounds for Brenda at the flat as payment for the cartridge. On returning home Alex found a shop selling ink for 10pounds and bought one immediately. Meanwhile Brenda had returned from work and upon listening to alexs message used the 15pound to buy a takeaway meal for herself and a friend

advice Alex when he asks Brenda to return the 15pound and she refuses

ill pay if i have to it needs to be 1500 words and mine is no were near that number

thanks guys

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Re: contract law earner

why is it based on pounds?

secondly, geez, it's only 15 quid... i'd let her have it if i were you...

you can't really sue over such a small amount - you'd be wasting the court's time.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
Re: contract law earner

and 1,500 words is just a word limit. if you think you've answered the question in less words then just submit. i have friends who've received HDs with 800 words where the word limit was 1,500.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
what a gay question! there's obviously not enuff info to formulate a solid answer. but i think the crux is: no contract had been formed because acceptance has to be communicated but remember the carbolic smoke ball case where an offer could be unilaterally accepted (but surely that couldn't have been the intention).

then u can say that Alex is 'estopped' from enforcing his legal right of getting his money bac cos there was no contract but come on, clearly 15 pounds is nothing to amount to some sort of 'unconscionability'!

ridiculous essay task!

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Clearly the only correct solution is for Alex to enlist a crack team of solicitors and barristers (those without 'QC' after their name need not apply), and have them hit that bitch (or her legal representative) with as much intimidating red tape as possible. After eight months of pointless interrogatories and repeated service, the legal costs for Alex's side alone should be somewhere around the £1.2million mark. It is at this point that Alex should give Brenda the generous option to settle the case for an amount in that general area.

The fear of having to pay for her legal costs, Alex's legal costs, and a new print cartridge, will likely be more than enough to pressure her into settling for his costs alone. If this is ineffective then her solicitor's family should be threatened.

I love contract law.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
After eight months of pointless interrogatories and repeated service, the legal costs for Alex's side alone should be somewhere around the £1.2million mark. It is at this point that Alex should give Brenda the generous option to settle the case for an amount in that general area.

The fear of having to pay for her legal costs, Alex's legal costs, and a new print cartridge, will likely be more than enough to pressure her into settling for his costs alone. If this is ineffective then her solicitor's family should be threatened.
i refer you to s99 of the Civil Procedure Acthttp://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/cpa2005167/http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/cpa2005167/.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)