• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

creative writing question (1 Viewer)

m00

HSC
with creative writing stories, is it a bad idea if they are linear?
like is it a bad idea if we actually describe whats happening? like a character walking to school blah blah for example..??

or do we have to write mindless descriptions and thoughts of the character like for example:
"the wine glass looked at him, it was narrow - like his mother"
ok well not that horrible but like you get what I mean, do we have to make the marker keep guessing what the hell we are writing about or can we be to the point and concise and still have techniques in our writing? I honestly dont get the point of having a story thats littred with sophisticated language when you can generally make your point with way more meaningfull less sophiscated words

Last edited:

-tal-

HSC
m00 said:
with creative writing stories, is it a bad idea if they are linear?
like is it a bad idea if we actually describe whats happening? like a character walking to school blah blah for example..??

or do we have to write mindless descriptions and thoughts of the character like for example:
"the wine glass looked at him, it was narrow - like his mother"
ok well not that horrible but like you get what I mean, do we have to make the marker keep guessing what the hell we are writing about or can we be to the point and concise and still have techniques in our writing? I honestly dont get the point of having a story thats littred with sophisticated language when you can generally make your point with way more meaningfull less sophiscated words
No, it's more "sophisticated" if it's non linear, but it's not necessarily a bad idea to write in a linear structure. Provided you write concisely and nicely, I don't see what's so bad about a linear structure.

About the character "walking to school" if it's not directly or somehow connected to the story, don't write it in. I don't really need to know how your character rolled out of bed and wore their lime green socks and magenta shoes and orange jeans and purple shirt and yellow glasses. And then how they walked to school and saw the midget jew across the road gardening blah blah blah... UNLESS it's somehow related. Eg you address the problem using these "scenes" like the character getting bored with the regularity of life

So, you can "be to the point and concise and still have techniques". Just as long as your style is unique, sophisticated (ie concise and focused) and what you write is interesting and/or actually worth reading.

Also, it's important to have a sharp focus on the statement you're trying to make. Don't go off on a tangent. And, make sure the story has some sort of meaning to it, that's what most important.

dolbinau

HSC
How many people are actually going to make their story up on the spot? Mine is wrote learnt.

m00

HSC
well my story isnt about a guy walking to school im just giving an example lol but yeah my characters steps are all involved with the story and there is a lot of description of the surroundings.. is it a bad idea to have humour in the end? like go from a really serious plot and give a lot of tension then blow it all off with a stupid line to crack the marker up? dam i'd hate it if some old guy with no sense of humour marks my work

Last edited:

-tal-

HSC
m00 said:
well my story isnt about a guy walking to school im just giving an example lol but yeah my characters steps are all involved with the story and there is a lot of description of the surroundings.. is it a bad idea to have humour in the end? like go from a really serious plot and give a lot of tension then blow it all off with a stupid line to crack the marker up? dam i'd hate it if some old guy with no sense of humour marks my work
fuck no. that ruins the whole story.

The humour invalidates every single serious point you were trying to make with your story. Creative (in a twisted way). "But it's meant to be creative writing! That's the whole point of the "creative" you stupid idiot!"
Yeah, whatever, but if that "creative" humour makes the marker think you're a stupid prick, screw it. They'll mark you down on sophistication, it'll make them think that because you're so inept and incapable, you couldn't do a proper ending. It'll waste their time because, in the end, you didn't give them any message or point of view.

Humour will only ever work if it's a mature, clever sort ie a play on words, something that incorporates wittiness, and an excellent control of language forms and features. eg puns

Or, it works if you have a natural flair for comedy. And I mean the witty, smart type. Not the dumb falling-off-the-chair, practical joke type.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)