• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dear previous Maths Ext. 1 students (2 Viewers)

Examine

same
HSC
How much time did you spend each day studying maths? I'm currently studying for Business Studies HSC though I feel like I should add a subject. How much should i study if I want to achieve a 90+ HSC mark?
Thanks in advanced.

HSC
Uni Grad
i did absolutely no study at all throughout the year

during the 2 weeks before the hsc i'd do one past paper every other day

HSC
Uni Grad
i am absolutely serious

maths isn't a content based subject

there's no memorising or rote learning

the concepts are pretty simple tbh

the hard part is applying them to questions

but i couldn't find many (if any at all) questions that i couldn't 'get' instantly

and tbh most 4u students would've been in the same shoes as me

so yeah, i barely studied for 3u at all

Examine

same
HSC
So basically just homework and concentrating at school?

Last edited:

cssftw

HSC
consistency brah, that's they key not just with math but with every subject - if you study PROPERLY/EFFICIENTLY for 4hrs a day - u should get a 99+ atar. depending if ur in a top 20 school.

So for maths, 40min for ext1 and 1hr for ext2 is PLENTY to get an e4. just make sure ur consistent, or you will have to spend up to 7hrs at a time catching up :( don't let that happen to you mate.

Lina3

HSC
consistency brah, that's they key not just with math but with every subject - if you study PROPERLY/EFFICIENTLY for 4hrs a day - u should get a 99+ atar. depending if ur in a top 20 school.

So for maths, 40min for ext1 and 1hr for ext2 is PLENTY to get an e4. just make sure ur consistent, or you will have to spend up to 7hrs at a time catching up :( don't let that happen to you mate.

I thought the school you go to has no impact on your ATAR? I even checked with the Board...

Pfortune35

HSC
depends on how smart you are and how easily you understand the content 1 hour a day on school days in more than enough

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
90+ HSC mark in Extension 1 is not very difficult if you do consistent study.

If you JUST want to get an E4, then 1 hour each day will suffice.

However, you seem like a smart guy who wants to aim for more, so I think you will need to do a bit more than that.

Also, study smart not hard.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
If you do 4u, 3u suddenly becomes so much easier. If you only do 3u then you need the consistent study. Do a question 1 in the morning and a question 5 in the afternoon.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you do 4u, 3u suddenly becomes so much easier. If you only do 3u then you need the consistent study. Do a question 1 in the morning and a question 5 in the afternoon.
Only 2 questions per day? Geez....

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
It's not about the time spent studying, it's about your understanding. Study a topic until you fully grasp the concepts involved - whether it takes you 10 minutes or a week. Most importantly, DON'T JUST MEMORISE ALL THE FORMULAS. You can probably get away with that in the prelim course (I know loads of my friends did), but when it comes to the late questions in the actual HSC (4 unit Q7-8, 3 unit Q7 etc.) from what I've seen, you'll get fucked.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Study smart = Doing typical exam questions, working on weaknesses, practising past papers, having regular breaks. I had a 1:1 ratio of study:break. Study 2 hrs = break 2 hrs. I never lost interest or motivation with studying. It may seem crazy, but it works well.

Study hard (but not smart) = Doing every single question in the textbook regardless of whether it's a strong or weak topic, and tanking through 4 hours at a time (ofc losing focus as time goes by, and eventually motivation).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)