• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Deduce questions (2 Viewers)

pt1

HSC
Hey I was wondering if there is any sort of method you would apply to a 'deduce' question such as those found in the later questions (9&10). Some I get but others I dont know where to start. Any tips?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You start from the previous part (or the part specified), then work out the final result from there.

There generally is no 'method', but look for clues regarding what you should do. Give us a sample question and we'll show you what we can.

pt1

HSC
aaa.png Part IV, I looked at the solutions and they pulled a line outta nowhere which didnt make sense D:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
So what goes in my mind, when I see this question, is this....

Okay cool part (iii) has cos theta, now to do par- WHAT where did the cos theta go!? Part (iv) has an inequality.... and the cos theta is gone..... The only thing I can think of that has an inequality, and cos theta in the same expression, is -1 < cos theta < 1, so perhaps I'll give that a go.

And the answer comes out immediately by substituting in the fact that cos theta > -1

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
An alternate method is to understand that what we can grasp from this inequality is that the MAXIMUM y-value that y can take is 3a.

So lets use our expression from part iii:

pt1

HSC
Thanks!. On a side note are these trig inequalities part of the 2U course? I haven't seen them around before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)