• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

developing (1 Viewer)

stareathesun

i'm a chick i'm a chick i'm a chick i'm a chick i'
hey
i just wanted to know if anyone here has a problem with people not developing their own photos (eg. black + white), and getting them sent away.
Its just that my fellow art students have a big problem with it, because they believe its not the same...
what do you guys think?

soso

HSC
N/A
once upon a time in the 80's students had to do their own processing. Some photos are the result of much work in the dark room burning in holding back and selecting which part of the image you are going to use and which bit you might like to crop out.

This is indicitive of the idea that art is made by the artist. Therefore you should be doing your own processing. I

n contemporary times You could say there is plenty of precedent for the artist directing the production of art without actually making it. Look at the work of patricia piccinini she designs it for someone else to make. Some artists do it deliberate as a postmodern strategy to challenge4 established theories of art.

David Attie in his 'Russian Self-portraits' series designed the idea but the subjects of his photographs chose everything else about the photo then took self-portraits. They chose what they wore how they sat and when to take the photo. In this instance the artist did not take the photo the subjects of the photo took the photo

Look in the BoS requirements for photography. Does it say you do the processing. Think Digital. You can take your photos, have them burnt onto CD,s and the print them off on your home computer. Then there is no actual processing. Ask your teacher or ring the BoS

Digital processing gives cleaner images. Do your friends think also that a painter should make their own paints. That potters should be the only ones to fire their pots. That ready mades arent the same as making your own. Lots of these issues were dealt with by Dada and very resolutely crushed. Your classmates are behind the times Dada was early 1900s

jeska

i dont think there is a prob wid it... how is it not the same? it isnt as though someone else has taken the photos for you, developing isn't the only part of the process, but more how the shot is arranged and taken... i think you'd be better off sending them off, then you dont have to worrying about ruining the negatives etc...

Taz-j

It's ok

As long as the photos are your its ok. Your being marked on the best quality and the meanings ( or image in other words)
I'm also sending my photos away to be printed. Its hard to do a really good job these days compared to the other things people are doing.
You may find you just don't have what you need at your school. Alot of people every year send there photos away to be done prefessionall.
Ignore your class mates their just worried that yours will be really good. :D

stareathesun

Oh, im not the one developing photos. I just wanted to know. My class was shown how to develop film from scratch (in our darkroom). We had a film assessment in yr 11, and we were marked on the compostion as well as the developing. One of the girls sent hers away to be developed because she missed out on the art periods, and got better marks than another girl who also couldn't get to the art periods, but managed to develop hers anyway.
I'm just saying they think its not really "your" photo if you don't do it from scratch.

soso

HSC
N/A
Don't think so. What you are expressing is a traditional notion or rule of Art is art when you develop your own photos.

You are perhaps confusing this with the requirements of the assessment. If the assessment stated you had to do your own processing and the candidates did not adhere to the requirements then you should challenge the result.

However if they had a good reason for being absent, the teacher was approached she may have allowed a slightly alternate arrangement for them say like if they were ill. Look in the assessment task and discuss it with the teacher. If not happy lodge an appeal against the result.

Back to talking about Art , accepted art traditions would have us believe that art is individual created by an artist. The first big challenge to this notion came from the Dada who presented readymades as art. This tradition in modernism for challenges notions in art is well developed. Post modernism seeks to push that challenge to dizzy heights where anyone can make the art work. Processing your negs in this context is a personal choice.

lalaynie

We were told that digital can be professionally printed, but any traditional photography must be done in the schools labs, in accordance with the BoS requirements... which incloudes any enlargements or close ups....

soso

HSC
N/A
Go to this link and look in the syllabus http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/syllabus2000_listv.html#vietnamesec

and it says

Individual photographs must not exceed 2 square metres in area.

The complete submission must not exceed 6 square
metres when displayed for marking.

Slides should be presented in a KODAK carousel

With contemporary technology it is impossible to be sure if works are digital or film based in many instances. Ring the Bof Studies for accurate advice ask for the Visual Arts Consultant

soso

HSC
N/A
OOPS left some quotation marks out, makes a big difference to what I meant to say

Go to this link and look in the syllabus http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...tml#vietnamesec

and it says

"Individual photographs must not exceed 2 square metres in area.

The complete submission must not exceed 6 square
metres when displayed for marking.

Slides should be presented in a KODAK carousel"

With contemporary technology it is impossible to be sure if works are digital or film based in many instances. Ring the Bof Studies for accurate advice ask for the Visual Arts Consultant

stareathesun

Originally posted by soso
Don't think so. What you are expressing is a traditional notion or rule of Art is art when you develop your own photos.

You are perhaps confusing this with the requirements of the assessment.
Im not confused with ANYTHING! Their opinions have nothing to do with the requirements. Thats just how they feel, HSC or not.

gezz

forget it

EDIT::I wanted to know what your personal opinions were, not you typing the requirements out to me which has already been done millions of times

annaclassof2004

well i wanted to develop my own colour photographs for my major work but my school doesn't have the ficilities and my art teacher hasn't got the knowledge so some of us who are doin photography as a major HAVE TO get the photographs developed as long as we take the photos ourself there isn't a prob... fuk look at andy warhol he didn't physically produce 95 percent of his art works though they were all his idea... and he is known as one of the greatest artist in the last half of the 20th century

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by annaclassof2004
i don't think there is a prob with it but i think it should be shown on the art work somewhere that the photographs were developed by....
definitely, i agree.
personally (and my teacher agreed as well) if you're doing black and white photography, you should develop the photo's yourself as you are marked not only on a conceptual basis, but also a technical basis. so painters are marked for their painting ability and technique and sculptors for their sculpturing technique..so it follows that photo's also should be marked for how they are made

of course contemporary artists often don't make their own art, and get others to process their photo's..but i guess the board of studies isn't the real art world, and they aren't judging you as an artist but as an art student.

x.

we have a darkroom at school, but my teacher said that she wouldn't print in there for the hsc because everything has to be perfect. so, it is not bad if you send it away if you don't have faith in your darkroom. oh, don't you love public schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)