• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Diferantiation (1 Viewer)

darkmaster

HSC
i'm haveing trouble with this question, i try to differentiate it but i keep on the getting wrong answer.

1/2x^3

everytime i differentiate it i get 2/3x^4

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
darkmaster said:
i'm haveing trouble with this question, i try to differentiate it but i keep on the getting wrong answer.

1/2x^3

The rule for differentiation is: d/dx(xn) = nxn-1 where n is a constant.

I'm assuming you want to differentiate half of x to the power of three with respect to x.
So basically ...

d/dx(x3/2) = 3x2/2

You shove the power of 3 in front of 1/2,
Three times a half (3 x 1/2 = 3/2) equals three over two, which will be your constant.
Finally, you minus the power of 3 up the corner by 1 which becomes 2.

If ever in doubt, use this site: http://calc101.com/webMathematica/derivatives.jsp#topdoit
You look like you are trying to "integrate" it, you do integral calculus (reverse of differentiation) after differential calculus.

It was a little tricky at first when I first did differential calculus, but I got through ... Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
HSC
darkmaster said:

1/2x^3

u doin ur hsc nxt year n ur doin differentiation now, u must b ahead of ur class:)

marianna84

HSC
f3nr15 said:
The rule for differentiation is: d/dx(xn) = nxn-1 where n is a constant.

I'm assuming you want to differentiate half of x to the power of three with respect to x.
So basically ...

d/dx(x3/2) = 3x2/2

You shove the power of 3 in front of 1/2,
Three times a half (3 x 1/2 = 3/2) equals three over two, which will be your constant.
Finally, you minus the power of 3 up the corner by 1 which becomes 2.

If ever in doubt, use this site: http://calc101.com/webMathematica/derivatives.jsp#topdoit
You look like you are trying to "integrate" it, you do integral calculus (reverse of differentiation) after differential calculus.

It was a little tricky at first when I first did differential calculus, but I got through ... Practice makes perfect.
If you don't want to differentiate 1/2(x^3) but rather 1/(2x^3).

Which is 1 over 2 times x to the power of three. You would do the same thing except you only work on the demoniator ie the bottom half of the fraction.

So...
the three comes down in from of the x and you subtract one from the power 3 and you get 2.3(x^3-1) = 6(x^2) as your denominator so your final answer would be 1/(6(x^2)) or 1 over 6 times x squared.

williamc

HSC
sanjeevprasad99 said:
u doin ur hsc nxt year n ur doin differentiation now, u must b ahead of ur class:)
Diffrenitation is a year 11 topic.

williamc

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I remember the class doing 2 unit doing differentiation at the end of the year 11 course. But then, schools run topics at different times, that cannot be ignored.
Differentiation is a prelim course topic end of story. Whilst yes it might be done during year 12 it still is a prelim topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)