• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do i need a tax file number to work in Melbourne? (1 Viewer)

dawilster

HSC
Hi,
I'm 17 and thinking about applying for a job in my local area, i'm just curious do I need a tax file number in order to work casually, i'm thinking of applying at Kmart and big w.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks a lot

HSC
i'm 18 and only got a tax file number early this year, but i'm pretty sure i was supposed to have got one ages ago. even if you don't make enough to pay tax you just have to file an exemption. that being said, i didnt get arrested or anything so im sure you'll be fine.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
dont you need one anyways no matter where youre working?

edit; didnt school give you like a pamphlet thingy for your register and have it down for you?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Yes, you MUST have a TFN to work, no exeptions. You will be taxed something like 3/4 of your pay until you get one (you get it back at the end of financial year).

HSC
dont you need one anyways no matter where youre working?

edit; didnt school give you like a pamphlet thingy for your register and have it down for you?
Yeah, if you do it through school you don't need to send off any paperwork, I didn't apply through school and I had to send off shitloads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)