• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

do i need chem for med (1 Viewer)

idk123233

HSC
Do I need chemistry for medicine in new south wales, i really don't wanna do chemistry. I know little to nothing about chemistry. I've tried researching perquisites for universities to get into med but couldn't find much info (probably cuz i suck at researching). so can i get into medicine without doing chem in y11 and y12?

idkkdi

HSC
Do I need chemistry for medicine in new south wales, i really don't wanna do chemistry. I know little to nothing about chemistry. I've tried researching perquisites for universities to get into med but couldn't find much info (probably cuz i suck at researching). so can i get into medicine without doing chem in y11 and y12?
why do you not want to do chemistry if you want to do med?

idk123233

HSC
why do you not want to do chemistry if you want to do med?
i'm not good at it nor do i have enjoy it.Ihave picked biology as i enjoy it and tend get good marks in it, however with chem i don't.

idk123233

HSC
Not really, Biology and anatomy are the main components of med. But many med students never do bio or anatomy. The stuff in med can be learnt through the course as it's designed to.

On top of that UNSW and USYD have this thing where they don't show your employee your marks. So all you have to do is pass the courses not get maximum grades. They do this to create a positive learning environment because the practical component is just as important as theory
Thank you for your reply, the subjects i have picked are: adv math, adv english, biology, business studies, pdhpe and legal studies

nathanzhou1234

HSC
Generally no, but it helps a lot. The only prereqs are at least advanced maths for usyd I believe

idk123233

HSC
Generally no, but it helps a lot. The only prereqs are at least advanced maths for usyd I believe
thank you for ur reply, the subjects ive picked r: adv math, adv eng, bio, legal, pdhpe and business studies
are these subjects good?

nathanzhou1234

HSC
thank you for ur reply, the subjects ive picked r: adv math, adv eng, bio, legal, pdhpe and business studies
are these subjects good?
Bio is OK, but if you do legal, PDHPE, or Business you pretty much have to state rank to get a substantial ATAR because the scaling is really bad. Eng Adv is good but for Maths I'd recommend at least X1. Ultimately tho, pick the subjects that you like

idkkdi

HSC
Many people get 99.95 ATAR without math or just math standard. As long you do can do well in the subject
u sure about the math standard? has anyone checked if anyone who does math standard gets .95 on the uac sheet

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
Bio is OK, but if you do legal, PDHPE, or Business you pretty much have to state rank to get a substantial ATAR because the scaling is really bad. Eng Adv is good but for Maths I'd recommend at least X1. Ultimately tho, pick the subjects that you like
This dude summed it up so damn perfectly.

MissKrabappel

HSC
An individual’s knowledge of chemistry is significantly beneficial as they’re able to predict the effects/interactions of a prescribed pharmaceutical drug on a patients health. Chemistry also assists medical based professionals as it is able to be used to detect and make an effect diagnosis. You should select your subjects that correspond with your personal interests and strengths, doing this will have a significantly better outcome in terms of academic results. Some medicine schools don’t require chemistry as a prerequisite, I had a friend who did humanities and is studying medicine. The choice is yours but I do suggest you scope around the options and just have a look to see your interests.

hope This helps

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
An individual’s knowledge of chemistry is significantly beneficial as they’re able to predict the effects/interactions of a prescribed pharmaceutical drug on a patients health. Chemistry also assists medical based professionals as it is able to be used to detect and make an effect diagnosis. You should select your subjects that correspond with your personal interests and strengths, doing this will have a significantly better outcome in terms of academic results. Some medicine schools don’t require chemistry as a prerequisite, I had a friend who did humanities and is studying medicine. The choice is yours but I do suggest you scope around the options and just have a look to see your interests.

hope This helps
Thank you.

Vall

HSC
if you dont like chem and people seem to think you need chem for med then perhaps you shouldn't do med? there's plenty of other careers to aim for (plus OP is only going into yr11, you got ages to work out what you'll do later)

Epicman69

HSC
My take as a med student now, is that chem is a prereq for a lot of interstate unis so if u want to increase your chance as much as possible then it will be essential to take chemistry into your HSC. But if u are only looking at NSW unis, then yea take literally anything you like and you think you can get a very high atar with. Keep in mind tho out of the 4 med schools in NSW only 2 will take atar into account namely UNSW and USYD, whereas WSU and JMP only use ATAR as a threshold (meaning if u get over a certain ATAR it will no longer be considered) so your interview and ucat becomes much more important for WSU and JMP. Nevertheless just aim for 99.95, 99th percentile, and a fantastic interview.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
I don’t even know why Australia lets that slide. Literally every other country has prerequisite of biochemistry at the least to even be the slightest considered for medicine. And yet somehow students who do eng E2 get into the course as If someone is gonna create an essay on ‘how identity is proposed in your progressive lung cancer’ or ‘how the themes of emotion is expressed in your pancreatic cancer’ for a patient lmfao

kkk579

hello
HSC
I don’t even know why Australia lets that slide. Literally every other country has prerequisite of biochemistry at the least to even be the slightest considered for medicine. And yet somehow students who do eng E2 get into the course as If someone is gonna create an essay on ‘how identity is proposed in your progressive lung cancer’ or ‘how the themes of emotion is expressed in your pancreatic cancer’ for a patient lmfao
Hold on don’t u end up learning everything in uni anyways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)