• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do teachers teach? (1 Viewer)

oasfree

HSC
N/A
After my kid got into OC class I started to realise why selective highschool students said they could not survive without tutoring colleges. It's not because tutoring colleges teach any better. It is more like about teachers at selective schools don't want to teach. They prefer giving work to the kids and mark them. In a class with 80% Asian kids, they assume all kids have tutoring. So they stop teaching. They just hand out work, and let kids to come to them individually to ask questions in case the kids don't understand.

In this sense, they re-inforce the need for coaching. Those kids who don't go coaching end up staying behind as they are very hesitant to show the teachers that they don't know most things. When it comes to things that most kids don't know, they start to explain to the whole class.

What a hipocrisy! Some teachers condemn coaching but pribvately do coaching themselves to get money. They don't teach properly at schools so that kids go to coaching. Other teachers just assume kids have coaching (in areas full of Asian kids) and sit back to relax.

Do you guys fell that it is going this way in classes that have a majority of Asian kids? Like those selective school and OC classes?

r we dere yet

HSC
YES! i totally agree with the fact that teachers are not doing their jobs! Its really infuriating to see that the teacher expects you as a student to know the work back to front when he/she has not yet taught it. It especially seems to happen when the class has a majority of smart students in the class. It not only makes the minority feel mundane but a fall back in esteem is yet to happen.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
depends on the teacher. the majority of teachers assume that students already know the material; however, there are some that don't. I have a teacher who teaches material beyond the stuff I do at tutoring. Good teachers will do their job.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
After my kid got into OC class I started to realise why selective highschool students said they could not survive without tutoring colleges. It's not because tutoring colleges teach any better. It is more like about teachers at selective schools don't want to teach. They prefer giving work to the kids and mark them. In a class with 80% Asian kids, they assume all kids have tutoring. So they stop teaching. They just hand out work, and let kids to come to them individually to ask questions in case the kids don't understand.

In this sense, they re-inforce the need for coaching. Those kids who don't go coaching end up staying behind as they are very hesitant to show the teachers that they don't know most things. When it comes to things that most kids don't know, they start to explain to the whole class.

What a hipocrisy! Some teachers condemn coaching but pribvately do coaching themselves to get money. They don't teach properly at schools so that kids go to coaching. Other teachers just assume kids have coaching (in areas full of Asian kids) and sit back to relax.

Do you guys fell that it is going this way in classes that have a majority of Asian kids? Like those selective school and OC classes?
This is definitely the case at my school.

K

khorne

Gross generalisation. I go to a selective school, where about 5% of the students are tutored in any way. Our school is also predominantly from a European background. Additionally, the teachers are very good, and I see no reason to attend any tutoring.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
teachers teaching?.... ah only in a perfect world

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
English teachers can teach too. I had a brilliant English teacher who would go through the texts with us, showing us how to analyse them + explain what some techqniues mean. She has helped me improve by 15%.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Gross generalisation. I go to a selective school, where about 5% of the students are tutored in any way. Our school is also predominantly from a European background. Additionally, the teachers are very good, and I see no reason to attend any tutoring.
You are lucky to attend a school with more European background. So your case is now more of an exception! Caucasians also send their kids to tutoring too but in a more subtle way and they don't talk about it. For example, all the expensive workshops, science camp, ... where teachers are actually University teachers or tutors.

It's been a while from the time I posted this thread. I can see more clearly now that my original observation keeps occuring to the end of the year. Others have commented that this only happen to science and mathematics. That's a good comment. Yes, teachers in OC class still teach English and other stuffs and handle excursions and projects.

As math and science are two core subjects, the situation is not good. It is actually worse in normal schools.

The trouble is that school teachers teach well below the level at tutoring places therefore teachers mainly offer revision in class. This is opposite to what should have happened where school teachers teach well above so that kids go to tutoring to get help to keep up. In another way to look at it, schools should be teaching and tutoring places should be for recovery learning. But now, the opposite is happening.

So the ones who dont go to tutoring is the victim. Only those who are extremely smart could cope without having tutoring.

ziki

HSC
Depends on teachers really, i believe i had the best science teacher back in year 8 who taught our class nearly everything we need to know for year 8, 9 and 10. But sadly his leaving our school to go teach a selective....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)