• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Doing 12 or 13 Units over 10? (1 Viewer)

jellybelly59

HSC
Re: Prelim Subjects '08

F-O-B said:
Mathematics Extension
English Advanced
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Society and Culture (lol)
gonna drop ^^^ for sure.

and the reason i know why for sure is because, u need a max of 12 units in yr 11, and only 10 in yr 12 right? so u kindda need "padding" subjects...

(im really hoping i dont sound like a noob but....)
I dont get this, why would anyone have 12 or 13 units in yr 12, when only 10 count? isnt that just silly?

:confused:
Don't the extra 2 to 3 unit subjects act as "padding" because if u do crap in one subject u can make up for it in another and those 2 or 3 units extra that u did crap in won't go towards ur uai... that's what i was told :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A

^Yep. If you only have 10 units, and you bomb out in one, then your UAI may be somewhat "screwed". The extra 2 or 3 units like jellybelly59 said are used as a cover in order to provide safety if something goes wrong.

F-O-B

HSC

I suppose,
but...
Ur wasting all that time, on subjects that may not count, for a whole year!
besides, how can u totally screw up, i thought they could only test you on those dot points? and maths is well..maths.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

F-O-B said:
I suppose,
but...
Ur wasting all that time, on subjects that may not count, for a whole year!
besides, how can u totally screw up, i thought they could only test you on those dot points? and maths is well..maths.
You'd be surprise how many people bomb out. One failed assessment may mean the end of your desired university course :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

I'm doing 12 units. :)

I originally planned to do 13 units though, which may have turned into 14 units if I wanted to do some weird 1 unit course at Macquarie University.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Originally had 12 units in Year 11.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

Like I've said for 4 years now: I never once heard a valid argument for taking more than 10 units in year 12. It's all about motivation and time management; what's the point of studying for 12 units when you only need to study for 10? Just make sure the 10 units you have are ones you're motivated for and you'll be fine (but hey, that's not a problem 12 units would fix, cause if you figured which subject was least motivating, you'd drop it).

And don't even THINK about an odd number - it is so not worth the effort, because the only reason a 1unit subject would beat a 2unit subject is if you devoted time to the 1unit subject which could have been devoted to the 2unit subject!

Conclusion: 10 units.

Last edited:

NitroBoon

HSC
13 units this year (got rejected by macquarie uni for the distinction course x.X) , hopefully i can cope with it....the thought of morning classes is scary...:(

Last edited:

evilflic

Supreme Member
Roseville/Chatswood (Sydney)... soon to be St Luci
HSC
well... i`m doing 14 units right now... but i`ll be doing 12 in Year 12 because i`m probably going to change from
phys, chem, 3eng, 3maths, eco[possibly changing to mod or ancient history in term 1], geo
to
4eng, 4maths, physics, chem
... eco/history & geo are just there in case i decide to drop either phys or chem & so i can then choose the subjects i like the most at the end of the year =]

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Without Wings said:
It's personal choice
Just like Without Wings said :). It's really personal choice. I'd prefer to have probably 2 units of backup for the HSC though. But if I'm really confident I'll do really well, then I'll just go with 10. We'll see where life takes me in my preliminary marks, if I'm able to cope with extra units or not.

renzieroo

HSC

If you have NO idea what you wanna do when you're picking your subjects in year 10, i say you should choose as many as possible because subjects are easy to drop and you're basically trying to find the subjects that you're good at. In year 12 you shouldn't have more than 12 but i think you should have more than 10 just in case (for that "padding").

1harkina

HSC
you should do less units and put more effort into those instead of splitting your attention into many units
it is beter to get 80 percent in say 10 units than 75 in 13

Yamiyo

HSC
This is my personal experience, when I dropped from 13 units to 11 units temporarily (before picking up two more) I started mucking about in all the free periods I got and generally became lazier. I'm actually a lot more motivated when I have a pile of work sitting in front of me.

Different arrangements work for different people, I guess...

Also, I don't think it's pointless to do an odd number of units. For example, if you have 11 units by picking up maths extension 1, you would probably do better in the maths 2 unit course due to exposure to more difficult kinds of thinking and questions, even if it means that it makes one of your 2-unit courses only half count.

Last edited:

dpospination

HSC
NitroBoon said:
13 units this year (got rejected by macquarie uni for the distinction course x.X) , hopefully i can cope with it....the thought of morning classes is scary...:(
u have morning classes becuase u do 4 other subjects on top of 2 unit english and 3 units of maths, so u have the morning class for the extra unit of maths. at my skool (Pats Fairfields- great skool =)), if u do 3 unit english or maths its on an extra line, so u dont do 4 'other' subjects (i call them that cause i dont know which opnes ur doing), u only do 3 so we dont need morning classes- but we mite have them anyways if we need to catch up. otherwise its all timetabled

Last edited:

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
I'm doing 13/14 (English Ext 2 o_0?), but only 11/12 in 2009 because IPT will be finished. It would be handy if you could accelerate one course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)