• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Doing maths in summer... (1 Viewer)

zkuld

newblet
HSC
Hey all,

Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm just curious as to if this would work.

I'm looking to lighten the load of my next semester's timetable by shifting 'MATH1231 Mathematics 1B' to the summer session, which takes 6 hours out of my 20 hour timetable, and subsequently takes 6 units out of my 24 unit semester.

My questions are;
1. Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?
2. Are there any hidden catches that I've missed? This seems like a good idea because it allows me to focus more on my other subjects during semester, and then just soley focus on maths during summer.
3. Finally, is this a good idea? :p

Thank you!

zkuld

newblet
HSC
How much less are we talking about here? If it's significantly less (i.e. ~half the time cut off), then I'll rethink my decision, but if it's only say squeezing 14 weeks into 10 weeks, then yeah I'm up for it. It's the only subject I'll be doing over summer anyway.

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
Remember that if you fail, you won't be able to re-take maths 1B in first session without overloading, which they won't let you do if you fail stuff. So you'll have to wait until summer session 2006-7 to do maths 1B. This means that you won't be able to do any subjects in 2006 that it's a prerequisite for, ie MATH2019 (you're doing civil engineering right?).
So failing will add another year to your degree.

So if you're good at maths, go for it.

If you're a bit iffy, don't.

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
i managed to get a credit in math1b in my 20+ hour timetable. apart from not attending lectures i didnt do any homework either (like no prep for tutes)

the way to pass maths is to cram the week before the exam...but yeah...moving it to summer session probably wouldve helped my marks quite a bit

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
They give out good marks in summer session for math 1b.

zkuld

newblet
HSC
I'm not too bad at maths, but with a whole semester just focusing on maths, it's unlikely that I'll fail.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
zkuld said:
1. Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?
Not that I am aware of ...

zkuld said:
2. Are there any hidden catches that I've missed? This seems like a good idea because it allows me to focus more on my other subjects during semester, and then just soley focus on maths during summer.
Apart from those mentioned above, you lose out on (some of) your summer, and a chance to take a break from uni.

zkuld said:
3. Finally, is this a good idea? :p
If you want the extra time during session, then yes ...

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
you will find that you have no motivation to study during the summer and end up with similar results as if you were doing the full 24uoc during normal session

zkuld

newblet
HSC
Nah I think I'll have a lot of motivation to do well. My thoughts are, holidays = boring, which means I'll be more inclined to study. I've done a bridging course during the holidays once and I was really motivated to do well in that, so it shouldn't be too much different here. The only thing that drives me off motivation during semester is when I fall behind, and this gives me the best chance to not fall behind in!

beverly

HSC
N/A
im thinking of doing the same thing (but more for timetabling sakes) and i was wondering if anyone knew what the hrs were for the summer (roughly)

zkuld

newblet
HSC
weR1: Look in the UNSW handbook.
beverly: 9 weeks, and I think 9 hours per week divided over 3 days.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
weR1 said:
I was just wondering if there's summer sessions for Accounting.
I don't think so. I recall my tutor saying that there are no summer session for any commerce subjects, which is really bad since I think I might fail Accounting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)