• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

double differentiation question (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
can anyone please help on this question... i no its easy but i havent as of yet experienced one as such

f''(x)=8 and f'(x)=0 and y=3 when x=1 find equation of y in terms of x

Thanks you, i

gurmies

Drover
HSC
tell me, is it:

y = 4x^2 - 8x + 7

I've also never done one of these before, so it's quite possible that i'm incorrect in my approach.

Last edited:

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Oh, beautiful. Well, I though of it like this:

Not too sure why, but I assumed it was a quadratic..(hmm..this is really dodgy), so I called it:

y = ax^2 + bx + c

y' = 2ax + b

y'' = 2a

Now, you said, y'' = 8. Therfore:

2a = 8

a = 4.

Now, back to the y'

y' = 8x + b [I subbed in a= 4]

When x = 1, y' = 0

b + 8 = 0

b = -8

Now, back to the initial equation,

y = 4x^2 - 8x + c

Since, when x = 1, y = 3

3 = 4 - 8 + c

c = 7

Therefore, the equation is 4x^2 - 8x + 7. But that's crap, I wonder why exactly it's a quadratic.. for some reason I thought there was only 1 turning point..

micuzzo

HSC
Thanks... sorry bout pm... u must have answered it straight after i refreshed... seems right,,, thank neway

gurmies

Drover
HSC
oh no, that's ok. You can pm me any time:) Not only does it help you, but it can also test my own knowledge, which is always desired. I'm still not satisfied however, in assuming that there was ONLY 1 turning point, in other words, a quadratic. Maybe somebody could dispell any doubts of mine..?

gurmies

Drover
HSC
I use a variety.

For school, I'm currently using a 4 unit Coroneos book for complex numbers, which apparently has very good complex number questions. After that, we'll be using fitzpatrick for the rest of the topics.

With my tutor, i'm using the cambridge book (arnold). However, he has also given me a university book from hong kong, which is better than any book here in Australia. It has some of the hardest and most interesting questions.

micuzzo

HSC
woh... good luck with that... i currently use Terry Lee... which i think is a bit over the top... Fitz seems ok... but judging from complex numbers it is easier than terry lee

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Well, to be honest, a lot of my friends who have just finished their exams, claim that terry lee is very good. bored_of_sc made a post in the mathematics extension 2 section, about a question from the terry lee book which I found very very interesting. If it has many of those questions, then it's definitely a good book. Advanced material won't hurt

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
micuzzo said:
can anyone please help on this question... i no its easy but i havent as of yet experienced one as such

Thanks you, i
f'(x) = int. 8 = 8x + c, when x = 1, f'(x) = 0.
8 + c = 0
c = -8

f'(x) = 8x-8
f(x) = int . f'(x) = 4x^2 - 8x + c x = 1, y = 3

3 = 4 - 8 + c
c-4 = 3
c = 7.

Thus y = 4x^2 - 8x + 7

3.14159potato26

HSC
micuzzo said:
Well, I dunno about the previous solution (not that I have anything against it, really) but here's how I look at it:
To determine the coefficients of terms in an nth degree polynomial, you need at least (n+1) distinct equations in terms of the coefficients.
This rule is quite obvious. For example, if the polynomial was of degree zero, you need one y-value, e.g. the polynomial is y = c, so you need the y-value to get the value of c.
For the question to be solvable, and since the 2nd differential is non-zero, therefore the equation is a 2nd degree polynomial, i.e. is a quadratic polynomial because it gives 3 equations in terms of the coefficients.
Therefore, taking f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, it gives the equations:
a + b + c = 3
2a + b = 0
2a = 8 or a = 4.
which can be rewritten as (rearranging the order of the terms):
{ 1 1 1 3 }
{ 0 1 2 0 }
{ 0 0 1 4 }
which is a 3*4 matrix, which can be solved using backsubstitution to give:
{ 1 0 0 7 }
{ 0 1 0 -8 }
{ 0 0 1 4 }
that is, a = 4, b = -8 and c = 7.
Therefore, y = 4x^2 - 8x + 7.

shaon0

HSC
3.14159potato26 said:
Well, I dunno about the previous solution (not that I have anything against it, really) but here's how I look at it:
To determine the coefficients of terms in an nth degree polynomial, you need at least (n+1) distinct equations in terms of the coefficients.
This rule is quite obvious. For example, if the polynomial was of degree zero, you need one y-value, e.g. the polynomial is y = c, so you need the y-value to get the value of c.
For the question to be solvable, and since the 2nd differential is non-zero, therefore the equation is a 2nd degree polynomial, i.e. is a quadratic polynomial because it gives 3 equations in terms of the coefficients.
a + b + c = 3
2a + b = 0
2a = 8 or a = 4.
{ 1 1 1 3 }
{ 0 1 2 0 }
{ 0 0 1 4 }
{ 1 0 0 7 }
{ 0 1 0 -8 }
{ 0 0 1 4 }
wow you used matrices. That's pretty good. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
3.14159potato26 said:
a + b + c = 3
2a + b = 0
2a = 8 or a = 4.
{ 1 1 1 3 }
{ 0 1 2 0 }
{ 0 0 1 4 }
{ 1 0 0 7 }
{ 0 1 0 -8 }
{ 0 0 1 4 }
Wow, that's a great way to look at it. But I prefer the tommykin's

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
3.14159potato26 said:
a + b + c = 3
2a + b = 0
2a = 8 or a = 4.
{ 1 1 1 3 }
{ 0 1 2 0 }
{ 0 0 1 4 }
{ 1 0 0 7 }
{ 0 1 0 -8 }
{ 0 0 1 4 }
I prefer tommykins method, haha. Although matrices look cooler. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)