• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Electives & 100/200/300... levels (1 Viewer)

cutiebabyforeva

Coz I'm Cool Like That ;)
HSC
Ok so whats the deal with electives?

Im planning to do a combined Applied Finance/Law degree next year and I really want to pick some language electives and maybe politics and philosophy.

The thing is... when can you pick your electives? Im a bit confused by the layout of the subjects required by degrees because "Electives" is always at the end of the credit point requirements (eg http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=FNCL02)... does that mean we can only pick electives in your final year or something? OR can you pick electives from the 1st year.

Also what do the different levels mean? Like the 100 level, the 200 level etc... Im a bit lost on that :S

Thank youu!

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I know for law you wont get your law electives until 4-5 year. As for the electives in ur finance degree I am not too sure it depends on the structure of the course. It looks like you might be able to start one or two in first year but best to wait for someone in the course. 100 level means first year subject 200 level means second year and so on but this does not mean u cant do a 200 level in 3rd year or 200 in first year u can if u meet the prereq

X

xeuyrawp

Hmm... Why doesn't that study pattern have electives listed? In the normal BAppFin, you get 24cps of electives. Confusing - because you add all the units up, and it doesn't look right with the total amount of units required.

X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
The deal is, you don't get any, with the exception of law units. So if you want to do language and philosophy, you're more than welcome - just know they won't be counting towards the requirements of your degree. So in essence, you'll be paying HECS and taking time to do the subjects for the fun of it you choose to add those units.

The BAppFin/Law (as well as most of the other combined law degrees with the exception of Arts/Law) is a full program with no room for filler units.

Required credit pts: 118

Core
27 credit pts at 100-level
20 credit pts at 200-level
27 credit pts at 300-level
12 credit pts at 400/500-level

LAW Electives
32 credit pts at LAW 400/500 level

That adds up to 118 credit pts

Hope that makes it clear.
Thanks for clearing it up - I did the maths quickly in my head, and it seemed like there was no room.

Unfortunately, unless you were in a BA/LLB, I don't think you could get a proper language stream happening with law.

X

xeuyrawp

kokodamonkey said:
yeah thats why i wont do combined law!
Argh, read the whole post. :(

Unfortunately, unless you were in a BA/LLB, I don't think you could get a proper language stream happening with law.
If you do a BA/LLB, you can definitely do a proper language stream. In any of the other double LLB degrees, it's not really possible.

If you're interested in things that may not seem 'artsy', make sure you remember that you can do a lot of majors in a BA that a lot of people would never think of, eg chemistry, economics, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

cutiebabyforeva

HSC
melsc said:
100 level means first year subject 200 level means second year and so on but this does not mean u cant do a 200 level in 3rd year or 200 in first year u can if u meet the prereq
Oh yeah right that's what my mum told me but the only problem is the page with Applied Finance/Law requirements only goes up to 400 level when the course is 5 years... so how does that work? That's why I was confused... coz shouldn't it go up to 500 level then if its in regards to years?

cutiebabyforeva

HSC
GoodToGo said:
The deal is, you don't get any, with the exception of law units. So if you want to do language and philosophy, you're more than welcome - just know they won't be counting towards the requirements of your degree. So in essence, you'll be paying HECS and taking time to do the subjects for the fun of it you choose to add those units.
That's pretty gay... :( well I guess I can just take them up anyway even if they dont count and I have to pay and take more time etc... coz I absolutely have to do Mandarin!

BTW does anyone know when you can pick electives just for an Applied Finance degree?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^ :uhhuh: thats more what I meant but it didn't come across that way. Although often the prereqs are set so generally you will do a 300 level in 3rd year etc and 400/500 level are interchangeable, at least for law.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
cutiebabyforeva said:
Ok so whats the deal with electives?

Im planning to do a combined Applied Finance/Law degree next year and I really want to pick some language electives and maybe politics and philosophy.
Okay, from what I can tell, if you're into philosophy, don't do philosophy. I get the impression it's all boring abstract crap that involves a lot of essay writing. Macquarie has a library, if you want to study philosophy, just go borrow some books and start reading, no need to pay for it.

Thinking about the big questions in life is cool, but it's better done while laying in bed, staring at the ceiling, with that cheap $45 hooker you just bought doing her thang.

And as for politics and language, ugh, why? Politicians and non-English speaking people suck! I think you should fill your electives with ECON units. ;)

cutiebabyforeva

HSC
Luke! said:
Macquarie has a library, if you want to study philosophy, just go borrow some books and start reading, no need to pay for it.
Hmmm ok not a bad idea if i remember lol...

Luke! said:
And as for politics and language, ugh, why? Politicians and non-English speaking people suck! I think you should fill your electives with ECON units. ;)
Please note that I'm an import and can speak English and French fluently, and understand Mandarin. Haha so you've just insulted me without knowing :rofl: talk about foot in mouth! lol but thats ok I get what you mean. And knowing other languages doesnt mean you can't speak English duhhh look at me I'm coming first in English Adv

Ill tell you why languages and politics:
1) Speaking a different language is very valuable especially in today's growing global community. It therefore opens up more job prospects for you, which is always good
2) I love languages and I kick ass at it... I say use your talents! :rolleyes:
3) Politics helps with debating, getting your ideas across and being a better orator. Those skills are also very valuable in the workforce and makes you more employable
4) It doesnt mean I want to be a politician yucccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
cutiebabyforeva said:
Ill tell you why languages and politics:
1) Speaking a different language is very valuable especially in today's growing global community. It therefore opens up more job prospects for you, which is always good
2) I love languages and I kick ass at it... I say use your talents!
3) Politics helps with debating, getting your ideas across and being a better orator. Those skills are also very valuable in the workforce and makes you more employable
4) It doesnt mean I want to be a politician yucccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!
1 - Yes, the ability to speak multiple languages is a valuable skill, but there are foreign language courses you can do outside university that will save you both time and money.

2 - If you think you'd like it, then go for it, but consider your alternatives first, and do more research before deciding— go sit in a few lectures or tutes. All too often I have chosen a unit on the basis that it sounded fun/interesting, only to find myself hating it six weeks into the semester.

3 - I don't thinking doing a few units in politics will help very much with your oral and presentation skills. If you want to develop excellent public speaking ability, look into a group called Toastmasters. They meet weekly to discuss and practice all aspects of presentation, body language/gestures and speaking, et cetera, and I know for a fact there is a Toastmasters group at Macquarie.

4 - Hahaha, good! Politicians are horrible creatures.

GoodToGo said:
Anyway, how seriously can you take someone from Boganville? *cough*, I mean the Sutherland Shire.
Ugh, don't get me started on the Shire. It's all brick houses, 2.5 kids and a mortgage down here. The white-suburbia lifestyle that exists down here is the most terrifying thing you will ever encounter.

cutiebabyforeva said:
Please note that I'm an import and can speak English and French fluently, and understand Mandarin. Haha so you've just insulted me without knowing talk about foot in mouth!
I can't figure out why you're insulted 'cutiebabyforeva'. I said non-English speaking people suck— not that I was at all serious, yet you can obviously speak English (as well as many other languages), so why are you insulted? :)

Perhaps you automatically jumped to the conclusion that I was attacking your ethnicity/nationality/race (re: 'import' remark)?

Hehehe. Nevermind, I am sorry if I insulted you, it was never my intention to insult you or anybody else. So once again; sorry.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think Luke just wanted an ECON buddy :(

And philosophy is pretty fun, you only write 2 major essays (back when I did them anyway) and maybe a 20% exam or not. First year was boring, but second year, heated arguments with americans, left wingers, right wingers, atheists, vegetarianists, utilitarianists, etc was hella fun (Philosophy of Religion ftw)

cutiebabyforeva

HSC
Luke! said:
I can't figure out why you're insulted 'cutiebabyforeva'. I said non-English speaking people suck— not that I was at all serious, yet you can obviously speak English (as well as many other languages), so why are you insulted? :)

Perhaps you automatically jumped to the conclusion that I was attacking your ethnicity/nationality/race (re: 'import' remark)?

Hehehe. Nevermind, I am sorry if I insulted you, it was never my intention to insult you or anybody else. So once again; sorry.
Sorry Im a bit fucking slow these days on the net coz of HSC and all.... but just thought I might as well answer you (Im procrastinating from studyin for English >.<)

Anywhooo, nah you didn't insult me at all, I was joking! I call myself an import all the time, lol rep! Everything is sweet as!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)