• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Emma/Clueless or BNW/Bladerunner? (1 Viewer)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
Anyone got any idea which one might be better? I read parts of Emma and BNW but still don't know which one to choose. If you did either, what do you think of it? Any regrets? I guess there is a gender distinction present in the texts too.

s2ophie

HSC
Well my class did emma/clueless and the other advanced did BNW/BR. I really liked Emma/Clueless but I like reading classics and i like clueless. It was good to look at the change in context etc and i enjoyed it. My friends in the other class claimed that BNW and BR was harder but i don't really know.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i liked emma/clueless too and there were heaps of things to talk about that i found quite relevant. but i'm not sure about bnw/bladeruner.. maybe you could go have a look at the notes on the website to see what sort of values etc you'll be talking about.

juggernaut

HSC
id pick according to interests
are u interested in technology/science/dna/aritifical intelligence? then choose br/bnw

if ur into something more contemporary then choose the emma and clueless module

dunno which is better, i have to say that brave new world is a mad book tho

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Having studied it, BNW/ Blade Runner are now my favourite text and film.

They are challenging texts because the composers juggle so many economic, political and social ideas that writing an essay in 40 mins is terrifying. But that said, you will either be inspired and empassioned by the text like I was, or loathe it like others in my class did.

If you're a humanities person, study In the Wild. It will seem difficult in the beginning...and it doesn't get any easier by the end, mind you, but it will extend your interest outside of the syllabus, which is what school studies should really achieve.

Ok, I'm done with my rant now :p Good luck with your choice!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah, if you like sci fi, pick BNW/BR... if you like classics/Austen pick Emma/Clueless...

I did BNW/BR and even though I'm not really in to sci fi that much I thought it was good. I was in the "other class" Soph mentions and a lot of people in my class thought BNW/BR was heaps harder than Emma Clueless but I reckon they were fairly equal in difficulty, I think perhaps it was people putting up barriers in their minds. So do whichever text you find most appealing.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i quite liked austen's writing, it was humorous and you can pick up things on more readings. the whole 2nd rate teen movie thing is what makes studying clueless so appealing. you can see how the film is meant to be satirical, which makes the whole hype of the movie at the time sort of scary.

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
the way i see it, emma is a great deal longer a novel than bnw in that i could easily read bnw again but wouldn't be bothered to do so with emma. bnw is concise and info packed, it's divided into chapters that allow easy tracking. emma is just one long story, finding quotes may prove a bit difficult, both for the length of book and it's trivialty. how does bladerunner compare to clueless?

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i think the fact that emma/clueless is under the 'transformations' elective while bnw/blade are under 'in the wild' also has significance. wouldn't that mean that in comparing emma/clueless, the focus would be largely how context has shaped the transformation of former to latter, while in bnw/blade, it's about humanity and it's dealings wiht nature. the context also matters but wouldn't the concepts be the focus? should that be taken into account in decision making?

Wohzazz

HSC
I just want so say how people who have a choice in their texts are so lucky- i'm stuck with clueless and don't like reading long novels, especially old classical stuff

Personally I'll choose BNW/ Bladerunner if i had the chance but it's up to you

Last edited:

~Dreamer

HSC
i like many others studied emma/cluless... i found it rather enjoyable, im the type whos into light hearted comedy and humour. i must confess though i did not finish reading the whole of emma...it seemed to drag on and on, but i read the sections which i needed to include in my exam...

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
is bladerunner an adaptation of bnw or is it irrelevantly composed?

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~Dreamer
i did not finish reading the whole of emma...it seemed to drag on and on, but i read the sections which i needed to include in my exam...
exactly one of the reasons i think i should do bnw. in the time it takes to read emma, i could read bnw two and a half times.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Blade Runner is a loose adaption of Phillip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, which was subsequently re-released as 'Blade Runner'. While possibly influenced, as stated above, BR is not an adaption of Brave New World...They merely share similar themes, and even they have important differences. as a result of changing context.

I thought 'In The Wild' was pretty good, but I have an interest in dystopias (Even did my Extension 2 dissertation on utopian and anti-utopian literature), and that may have encouraged me. Haven't read Emma or seen Clueless in it's entirety, but at least Clueless has 'Fake Plastic Trees' on the soundtrack. :p

As such, I recommend 'In The Wild', but thats a subjective value judgement and therefore, not of the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)