• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Eng/Comm Enrolment (1 Viewer)

redw0lf

A Member
HSC
So I am following the Stage 1 guidlines set out in http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2006/3715.html for my enrolment into Engineering/Commerce
I plan to do Computer Engineering for the Engineering aspect of the degree so I chose that as my plan
I have enrolled in
PHYS1121
MATH1131
ENGG1000
COMP1911
ie. done my timetable and now should be all set right?

However
I now see http://community.boredofstudies.org/115/university-new-south-wales/100019/enrolling-s1-s2.html and I attempt to enrol into semester 2 and the only course I should be selecting according to the handbook is MATH1231
So I try to enrol and get the following errors
Error:A required related class needs to be selected
Warning:Student not enrolled in related class 2, it is the same component as related class 1

Also, regardless of what Plan I choose for "Search by Program and Plan for Semester 1 2006" it always brings up the same courses (albiet MATH1231 only appears for semester 2) Should I try adding the course I need to do manually using the Search by Catalogue option?

Is it usual for Engineering first years to have such a high amount of contact hours? I'm banging my head on a wall because I have a 25+ hour week yet a friend who does Comm/Law only has an 18 hour week for the same 24 UoC

Oh yes, the reason I am not saving all my questions for the enrolment meeting occuring tomorrow is because I am leaving the country tomorrow for a holiday.

ace

is retired
HSC
redw0lf said:
Is it usual for Engineering first years to have such a high amount of contact hours? I'm banging my head on a wall because I have a 25+ hour week yet a friend who does Comm/Law only has an 18 hour week for the same 24 UoC
The contact hours are due to what the lecturers/administrators of the subjects deem necessary. For example, maths subjects usually require more contact hours than do accounting subjects.

In the first year engineering, you cover much of the fundamentals (the various maths) and this generally adds to the 20+ hrs a week at University. Also many engineering/science classes have labs in addition to lectures/tutes. This also bumps up the contact hours per week.

As for why Com/Law students have less hours than you, well there subjects, the lecturers/administrators didn't feel it necessary to have x hours of lectures/tuts/labs a week.

Don't worry you'll get used to University with 20 or so hours a week. It'll become routine, just wait and see.

As you are a full time student, I can't see 20 or so hours a week killing you. You endured schooling (for many years) at what 30 or so hours a week.

So to come to a close, don't bang your head in, acknowledge the fact you may have more contact hours than others, but overall, just enjoy your university experience.

Cheers

Btw, you have to enrol in both semesters, however semester 2 doesn't have to be finalised till the 2nd census date. Semester 1 has to be finalised by the first census date (March 31). If your having problems about not knowing what subjects to enrol into, talk to your program director (Computer engineering is Sri Parameswaran, sridevan@cse.unsw.edu.au). It is his job to help you with queries related to that degree (to a reasonable extent).

In general for any cse student, you'll want to have the link below
Contact details for undergraduate students
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/undergrad/contacts/index.html

It lists who to get in touch with for programs, transfers, grievance officers, academic standing, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)