• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

eng ext 1: animal farm help?? (1 Viewer)

brookeemma

HSC
argh~!!

ok. studying animal farm in ext english 1. i have to write a text(newspaper article, essay, etc) discussing whether or not i think animal farm is a successful example of satire. i want to say yes it is a successful satire, but sometimes goes off track by going too deep with details about the farm.

what techniques should i use (and how) to describe what im talking about? does anyone else think orwell ridicules WW2 by making the text about farm animals such as pigs??

and, why is there just about nothing on language techniques an figurative speech on the net???

thanks for any help you can give
~brooke.

dotcomgirl

HSC
Hope this is not too late.

Anyways these are some questions we were asked to answer lat year when we studied Animal Farm in relation to satire. If you can answer them, then you might be able to find enough relevant points to support your article:

1. Moses is descibed as "Mr Jones' especial pet" and as a "spy and tale-bearer". he is often considered to be a satirical comment on priests and organised religion. Marx, in his Communist Manifesto, saw the Church as corrupt and as part of the established strength of the Tsarist regime which wished to keep the (uneducated and superstituous) masses docile and obedient. How deos Orwell make his satirical point through Moses' and his stories?
2. What is Orwell's satiric point in the final second paragraphs of Chapter 3?
3. Comment on the satiric effect of "Reading out the fugures... as Squealer did not fail to point out?" (page 75)
4. What is the effect of the final sentence of Chapter 10? How do you relate this to the satiric intention of the book?

The main satiric point in the novel is that when humans act cold-bloodedly and unjustly they are called animals but in the book the pigs become and are called humans, the enemies of the animals, the merciless masters. Humans being the relived being to animals.

Hope this helps somewhat. :)

kayvon

--
HSC
i actually did animal farm in year 9
and we basically did that qestion
but im sure if ur doing it for ext 1-- u'll be going deeper into it????
orwell was satirising the russian revolution
just off the top of my head with the characters
the old pig who started the "revolution" is lenin
napoleon is stalin
snowball is trotsky
the horse is the proletariat
ive forgotten the other characters
oh and the farmer is tsar nicholas
the dogs are the nkvd
and the propaganda is the pig..umm.. squealer or somethhing
orwell was good at satirising soviet union
he also did it in his book : 1984
he definately satired the russian revolution -- its a little off tho

i dont see the relationship between the personification of pigs and ww2
but anyways
hope it helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)