• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

english prerequisite? (1 Viewer)

Dosu

HSC
N/A
hi, what med schools require english as a prerequisite? i'm asking this on behalf of a friend who doesn't do english and i'm also personally curious to see whether it was worth me doing worse in a subject (english was never my strong point) in exchange for more options for courses.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
its a prerequisite at pretty much all medical schools around australia. i mean you need to be able to communicate to ur patient. that being said, u dont need to do well in english. an average/slightly below average mark would suffice. e.g. for Monash, u need an english score of 30 which isnt that high (35 if ur doing ESL).

Dosu

HSC
N/A
its a prerequisite at pretty much all medical schools around australia. i mean you need to be able to communicate to ur patient. that being said, u dont need to do well in english. an average/slightly below average mark would suffice. e.g. for Monash, u need an english score of 30 which isnt that high (35 if ur doing ESL).
hmm i noticed it's a prerequisite for quite a few but how about university of new south wales? i checked their website and they mention it's assumed knowledge but not a prerequisite.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
What do you mean "who doesn't do english", is he/she an international student who has never studied or spoken it? In that case they need a sufficient IETS score, etc.

If they have studies English as a second language, here at school, etc it should be suffice with most universities.

If they don't have the english proficiency to study medicine, they will obviously struggle. Two units of english count towards your UAI/ATAR in NSW, so I presume ur an overseas student? In that case IETS, etc is usually required, it is a test to evaluate your english proficiency. You will need to check with the individual medical school/faculty/college you are applying to, as they all have different standards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)