• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ENGLISH texts... (1 Viewer)

HSC
This has confused me somewhat.

We do 'English' because we study texts in 'English' yes?

I do Japanese Extension and we have 2 teachers - 1 for the Japanese part and another for Spirited Away, the prescribed text. Anyway the one that does the prescribed text is also my English teacher and we asked him whether we can do Spirited Away for our belonging related text.

He said it was fine as long as you did it well.

Then it occurred to me. Spirited Away is a Japanese text...Can we do that? I know of people who have used Spirited Away in their belonging essays...but...it just seems strange. I mean we study 'English' to understand how meaning is shaped through language...ENGLISH?!

What?! Argh it may be completely nonsensical...but yeah :smile:

Thanks

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Consider it another way, you can doing a painting as a text in English, even if it's just a picture without words.

English refers to the way you construct your own response, not the language that a text exists in.

HSC
Really? Wowww insight right there.

Thanks so much!

jnney

lemon
HSC
Many people use foreign texts for related material.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
The focus is not on whether the dialogue is spoken in English, Japanese or in any other language - the focus is on HOW MEANING IS CREATED through the composer's decision to use such dialogue. so a text that does not use English in it should be very acceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)