• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English (1 Viewer)

Niksta123

HSC
Does anyone eles think that english is the most pointless subject ever? Like who is going to need to evaluate a poem or describe all the techniques found in a movie or write a feature article about a celebrity? unless you want to do something to do with english in the future it is such a waste of time.......what does everyone else think?

IceOnFire

HSC
Um isn't this thread like that other one.. "Who despise English adv. already?"
Lolz you can go and do your bitching of English over there, I will be agreeing with you all the way.. :)

kloudsurfer

HSC
I love english.

Anyway, its the same for any other subject. Maths is pointless (dont hurt me soulsearcher!)...when are you every going to need to use differentiation, or find the sum and product of the roots of a freakin parabola (unless you want to be an optometrist)!??!?!? What your teachers tell you is true, maths isnt pointless, it teaches you logic, problem solving and reasoning skill. Likewise, English teaches you how to analyse things, how to break them down, how to see the deeper meaning behind the face value of something. You know, all that kinda crap :)

IceOnFire

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I don't bash girls, I do other things to them ;) With their consent of course, unless you like it that way =P
Hitting on on kloudsurfer now eh?? :p

chicken1989

HSC
ok the reason we analyse these things is so we can understand them and their meaning... it isn't pointless

HSC
english does get a bit over analytical, but its not really pointless, especially when ur learning about values and context

sometimes i feel that when we analyse poetry and stuff, we are evoking meaning that didn't really exist in the poem in the first place

but i've learnt a lot from english this year, and i really like it, itys really developed my understanding

btw, maths ISN'T pointless, its mad

princy

HSC
I love English, which is why i'll be doing Extension Two. Despite the fact that I love it, sometimes I sit there and think "this is ridiculous, how the hell am I meant to know what the composer was thinking or feelings at the time?!". Aside from that I can anaylse pretty much anything, so although I do not enjoy poetry, I can interpret it pretty okay. Shakespeare on the other hand I just cannot stand.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Pointless, no. Boring, yes.
Yes

princy said:
I love English, which is why i'll be doing Extension Two. Despite the fact that I love it, sometimes I sit there and think "this is ridiculous, how the hell am I meant to know what the composer was thinking or feelings at the time?!". Aside from that I can anaylse pretty much anything, so although I do not enjoy poetry, I can interpret it pretty okay. Shakespeare on the other hand I just cannot stand.
When I was younger I thought you needed to be a queer to excel at English as well as fully understand the thoughts and work of writers, composers and authors such as Shakespeare ... On the other hand I reckon physics is m3n ;)

Last edited:

princy

HSC
No, you just need to be able to make things up and write them in such a way that the marker is astounded by your sophistication, it seems to work well.

kloudsurfer

HSC
princy said:
No, you just need to be able to make things up and write them in such a way that the marker is astounded by your sophistication, it seems to work well.
Haha, yes...making things up is the key. In yr 7 I convinced my friend that I had a pet zebra. Its name was Zebu.

I too am doing ext 2 english. ENGLISH RULES!!!! MATHS SHOULD DIE!!!!!

IceOnFire

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Haha, yes...making things up is the key. In yr 7 I convinced my friend that I had a pet zebra. Its name was Zebu.

I too am doing ext 2 english. ENGLISH RULES!!!! MATHS SHOULD DIE!!!!!
:rolleyes:

If Maths is dead, there WILL be no SoulSearcher.. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)