• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Essay feedback (1 Viewer)

sychikmoron

I would really like some feedback on this essay on transformation. I used the question from last year's HSC paper on Transformation and I'd really like some feedback as Module A is my worst out of the three. It took me 41 minutes to write this essay. I would really appreciate any comments on what's wrong with it and most importantly how I can improve it and please give me a mark out of 20. Thankyou!

HSC
N/A
First things first. As one of my friends would say, "I want more meat!"

Your introduction is highly waffly until the very last line, which is where you finally get around to saying the good stuff. Even then, you may wish to consider recouching this in slightly more sohpisticated language. Remember that an introduction should state all the texts you're going to look at (for HSC level, anyway) and to give an outline as to how you're going to answer the question. You must answer the question! If it's easier, you may re-word the essay question into your introduction (to better formulate an answer) however this is generally frowned upon if you're hoping for high high marks. If not, then go ahead and do whatever it takes to make it easier :)

Paragraph 1: I should probably state here that I'm analysing this from a first-year Uni level essay-writing perspective. I'm remembering now how much generic "stuff" tends to be shoved into essays, however even if you do this (and I guess we do need to do this for Eng Adv, all hail EE1) I strongly advise you ensure that each paragraph ANSWERS THE QUESTION. For basic starters, something I *still* do is to have a somewhat blunt draft opening sentence to get my mind around what I'm going to say. If what you *want* to say is "One of the differences between Hamlet and R&G is the historical context. By reading two different takes on the same story written at the same time, one is made aware of the dominant attitudes during that time and how they influence the text's dominant reading", then say that - but in better words.

You really have to remember that you are here to answer the question. There is a lot of "stuff" to cram in, but use this "stuff" to support what you're actually saying to support your theory. If you just put it in, it makes me wonder whether I'm reading "A Random Review of Techniques Used in Blah Blah Blah" or an english essay.

Paragraph 2: I'm slightly concerned about the sexual connotations references. There are *lots* of bawdy jokes in Shakespeare, so the validity of your point may be questionable. But it's worth saying if you explore it from another angle... read the scripts over again, and you'll find something to explore your sexual revolution theory. *That* is something you can expand upon.

Paragraph 3: Good! But bring it back to the essay question. ALWAYS answer the question! I used to get in so much trouble for this. My teacher reminded us how easy it is to go off on tangents when you're writing an essay. Sure, the ideas might flow, but the ideas may not sufficiently obviously answer the question. If you have to re-write the essay question next to your page to remind yourself of what you're supposed to be answering, then do.

Paragraphs 4 and 5 are sort of there and sort of not - again, they need to directly answer the question. I would also like to see more flow, which is generally lacking a far bit overall through the entire essay.

Paragrapph 6 is silly on its lonesome with no clear indication of it's purpose. Remember - answer the question! Make it clear that you're answering a question!

Paragraph 7: Don't leave the meat at the bottom. State very clearly what you're going to argue at the BEGINNING of the paragraph!

Conclusion: Avoid one-sentence paragraphs like the plague. Also, more "meat" required.

On a general note, you're missing some pretty important bits of "stuff", as well as terminology (techniques). I see absolutely no mention of "humanism" and "existentialism", and they really should be. Your second-last paragaph has so much potential, but I think you rushed over it - a pity, as it covered some very important issues which require more than glossing over.

In regards to flow, a lot of what you say does not follow on from the previous paragaph... for example, "Democratic governments and constitutional monarchies brought about changed attitudes towards the monarchy during the 1960s. There was more awareness of the common man that represented all classes and not just the nobility. Stoppard reflects this value in his play by transforming the subject matter from Hamlet to Ros+Guil, symbols of the everyman. We therefore witness a value of the common man. "

Could be rephrased as "The democratic governments and constitutional monarchies during the 1960’s brought about changed attitudes, including a shift of focus from the nobility and a raised awareness of ‘the common man’. Stoppard conveys this contemporary value in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern by changing…" etc etc.

Will leave the criticism there for today. As a mark, I'd expect about 12/20. Remember, that means you have 8/20% room for improvement! :)

Last edited:

sychikmoron

So mainly, I have to:
* Address the question
* Stick to the point and not go off on tangents
* create more flow within my essay
* Add more information on techniques

I'm finding it hard to incorporate techniques. Maybe I should write a different version of this essay and post it again. Thankyou glitterfairy! Is there anything else that I've forgotten?

sychikmoron

Changed Essay (Hopefully for the better)

This is the new version of my previous practice essay. I hope its better. If not, please tell me what is wrong with it and how I can improve, or what mistakes I'm repeating. and please give me another mark out of 20. Thankyou!

HSC
N/A
sychikmoron said:
So mainly, I have to:
* Address the question
* Stick to the point and not go off on tangents
* create more flow within my essay
* Add more information on techniques

I'm finding it hard to incorporate techniques. Maybe I should write a different version of this essay and post it again. Thankyou glitterfairy! Is there anything else that I've forgotten?
Look at an essay from this perspective. It's like a debate - they give you a question, and you have to argue out your answer. If the question is "Is Foo-FooHead stupid?", you can't just say "yeah, he is.". You have to *prove* that he is, using evidence. In HSC english, a big part of this "proof" is literary techniques used by the author.

Think less about writing "a different version" of the essay. You can't make a better essay by cleaning up or replacing things - it's all in the mind and how you think. In the HSC, you only have *one* chance to write an essay. You only get that first draft. If you don't instinctively know how to write a good essay, then you will struggle somewhat.

I would not write a different version - I would rewrite the ENTIRE thing from the very top. Start with a very basic formula like "SEE" - that is, Statement, Example, and Explaination.

I'm going to do a very basic example here. If this level of writing is where you feel most comfortable for now, then you can follow it and work upwards on the sophistication level from there. The important thing is to get everything out.

Statement: The concept of "death" is interpreted differently by authors (and by extension, their audiences) of different historical contexts.

Example: The Elizabethan notion that they must 'prepare' themselves for death to ensure they go to Heaven is evident in __________. By contrast, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have no such weighting on their earthly actions, as they believe that nothing they do will have any effect on the course of their pre-determined life.

Explaination: The obvious contrast in attitudes towards human death and pre-death behaviour conveys contemporary attitudes regarding death in the two plays. Whilst the general storyline may be the same, the authors have been able to shift the focus to whatever characters and perception of themes to that of their choosing - for example, Shakespeare was daring in his time for challenging God's divine and absolute power (glossing over lots here). Hundreds of years later in the 60s... blah blah blah blah.

As you can see from this rushes example, all parts of the paragraph - Statement, Example and Explaination are linked together, AND they all go towards answering the question. The statement is you saying part of your theory and how you're going to prove it. The example is you pulling out some evidence to support your theory, the explaination is you explaining why that evidence is relevant and exactly how it supports your theory.

Will look at updated draft if I have time later.

Aimz- Lou.

The second version is heaps better- and the first wasn't bad! Your use of language is fantastic! The only thing is- instead of saying that Stoppard has changed the focus from religion to the everyday man, it would be good to include existentialism there, which is a philosophy based on principles of nothingness. It influences the setting of the play, can be used to exlain why R+G have no control over anything, and explains Stoppard's portrayals of death- is- no life after death, "death...isn't" etc.
But good work!

HSC
N/A
I should really mention now that I can be a pretty harsh essay critic... me and my red pen are like, best friends *nod*

HSC
N/A
Critique for essay draft 2:

Intro: Is better, but you're not answering the essay question as directly as I would like. Frame your thoughts by phrasing them in *your* language to get a feel for where you stand. Talk to your walls, if you have to (I do a lot of this). If someone said the essay question to you over the phone, and you had 2-3 minutes to answer it in your own words, what would they be? Use this instinctive, PERSONAL answer to frame your essay. Don't answer it how you 'think' someone else wants you to answer it, actually do a bit of thinking. When you *know* something, when you actually *understand* what's going on, you're better equipped to argue out your opinion.

Paragraph 1: "Codes and conventions of traditional tragedy in Hamlet include the hero with a fatal flaw that brings catharsis through his struggle with life." Looks like it's going somewhere, but then it cuts off abruptly. Try fixing it up by tweaking it - adding it onto the tail end of the last sentence, putting more in there, attaching it to the beginning of the next sentence, that sort of thing.

"Stoppard transforms Hamlet" has little obvious relation to the previous sentence. When you have two sentences put together that have nothing in common, we start a new paragraph. Since it would be silly to do that, you need to structure the sentence better to have it flow from the previous one.

Actually, this bit here is a good example of dot points used in an essay. Don't try and "shove" ideas together. Think more about formulating a response and using anything and everything you have to support that. But it all has to work together. Even putting a "By contrast," at the beginning of "Stoppard transforms Hamlet" ties in the two sentences together - it gives a reason for you to look at another piece of evidence, and implies clearly your direction ('by contrast' obviously means 'hey, this one does it differently' or something to that effect).

The rest of the "Stoppard transforms Hamlet" sentence needs a bit of reworking. Either you compare the SAME element, or you do the "block" format and look at the texts in different paragraphs. In 'Elizabethan codes and conventions' you've listed the flawed hero and his struggles contributing to the plot, but you have a bunch of other ones in the list of modern conventions. List more Elizabethan ones, and if you can, use their modern-day (well, 60s) counterparts to better convey the changes brought about through different historical contexts. Otherwise, Stoppard may well have been a Chinese writing during the same time period.

There is definately an improvement I can see over the intro and first half of the first paragraph, but there's still more to go. As mentioned previously, I can be a real essay nazi - I *very* rarely look at essays (including my own) and think it's perfect. :) Don't take what I say too personally.

sychikmoron

This is really helpful. Don't stop. I need someone really critical or I will never improve. Don't be nice, be HONEST.

sychikmoron

can you read the rest please? I want to make it as good as i can, cos then i can move on to another practice essay on Hamlet + ros and Guil

HSC
N/A
If I have time. I do try to be as helpful as possible, but even though I'm on holidays I still have other work to do! :(

The advice I've given you can be taken on board and be applied by yourself. Think about what you're saying, answer the question, and make sure it's clear and well-structured. I definately want to see everyone work to their best potential, but I do not approve of spoon-feeding. Notes that I or anyone else give you are really only there to help *you* help yourself - you need to be able to work independantly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)