• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Essay structure (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Explain how the value of the Australian dollar is determined with a floating exchange rate with reference to factors affecting supply and demand.

I think imam stuck because it is an easy question but I am always pausing when writing because I feel it's wrong.

First paragraph introduces everything -it's fine

Second paragraph is all about demand saying things about export etc

Third is supply which has speculation etc b

Is this all I need

chrisman9519

HSC
Hey man,
Structure will come if you plan your essay. You want to structure your planning and not plan your structure, it is as simple as laying out your argument in a logical manner and listing it. If I were you I would Structure like this

Intro - First paragraph
- explain why the question is important or why it is relevant to the study of economics (2 sentences)
- anything else i may have forgotton that many be nice to add (statistics maybe)
- take two sentences to explain the gist of each of your paragraphs arguments (2 demand) and (2 supply)

Demand - Second paragraph
- topic sentence that sums up and makes a statement (1 great sentence)
- explain that statement with reasons, different factors affecting demand of Australian dollar
(4+ sentences)
- lead into next paragraph

Supply - third paragraph
- topic sentence that sums up and makes a statement (1 great sentence)
- explain that statement with reasons, different factors affecting supply of Australian dollar
(4+ sentences)

Conclusion - Fourth paragraph
-sum up everything
- finish up and just say what youve said

With these dot points just put in actual information and the actual content of what you will be saying, these dot points explain what should be in their place
you have to make it so while you are writing you are not thinking about subject matter, but about the actual language used, puntuation, how it sounds and making sure it flows well.
Your real thinking should already be done. Know your content before you write, and put it into your plan. If you take the time to plan, your structure will not even need to be given a thought because the structure is in the plan. Mix in some statistics and remember that your topic sentence should be extremely concise and to the point and that should be thought about carefully.
Redo your introduction with all this in mind, even if it is truly a good introduction, the whole thing must work together, you can't have one part of your essay stand out as different.
Planning can cut down on your writing time significantly and if you learn to plan now, during the HSC you will be able to draw up a quick 5 minute plan and get started on the perfect essay without worrying about language and if the structure is right.

Cheers mate, don't forget there are easy marks in the short answer too

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Thanks man. I gathered that should be the.

I raged quit and started a different question hahaha

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah given the current economic climate and the strong AUD, it's really difficult to try and explain the different reasons behind supply and demand. A lot of the concepts, even those which have proven to be a bit limited, are typically taught at university level (e.g. interest rate parity theory and the holding costs) rather than high school. Interesting that you raise speculation though because whilst there is data which suggests that the AUD is traded heavily for speculative purposes, to classify that as supply or demand is a bit harder especially with the current volatility and historical highs.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What's the interest rate parity ? Sounds fun
It's basically a scenario which states that an investor would be indifferent between investing in two different countries (with interest rates varying) because the exchange rate will converge to a position which ensures equal returns (i.e. changes in demand being the resulting force). This assumes many things about the financial markets but it's still an interesting theory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)