• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Exactly what do we need case studies for? (1 Viewer)

raven2000

HSC
hi, id just like someone to clarify for me what do we need case studies for in Business studies HSC? Which questions in the exam? (obviously not the muliple choice).. So short answer/extended response/business report?
My teacher didn't really explain it well :(

HSC
raven2000 said:
hi, id just like someone to clarify for me what do we need case studies for in Business studies HSC? Which questions in the exam? (obviously not the muliple choice).. So short answer/extended response/business report?
My teacher didn't really explain it well :(
Case studies are good to know so that you can throw in some random stats/strategies from the case study. You should plug this info into your short answers and extended response. Case study references are what seperate band 6 students from the band 5's.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
You only need case studies for the final question in the exam. You won't need them for short answer.

HSC
seano77 said:
You only need case studies for the final question in the exam. You won't need them for short answer.
Still though, it's good to have case studies to back up your points for your short answers.

michael1990

HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
Still though, it's good to have case studies to back up your points for your short answers.
You shouldn't have space to write about your case study in the short answer questions.

You need to answer the question fully, there is no need to use the case study until the last question.

The case study is to show a better understanding and you can relate it to reality.
So practice and learn your case study off by heart and you will be in the top bracket for your extented response (providing you answer the question in a logical succint way)

gnrlies

HSC
I would like to clarify a few points in this thread.

1 - Don't use case studies in your short answer. This doesn't help you, it only makes it harder to answer the question. You should be trying to answer the question succinctly. Adding in non-stimulus information only makes this task harder. Repear - DO NOT USE CASES FOR SHORT ANSWERS

2 - It is not just something to do to simply differentiate yourself from other students (i.e. band 5-band 6 students); it is actually a requirement for extended response questions (and by extended responses I mean the last question). The rubric quite clearly states that a case study / studies much be used. So dont take it lightly, you need to know one (or as I recommend - MANY!) otherwise your marks will be limited.

As for the business report, it is not required so in some ways I would recommend against using it, but it wont hurt. The problem with using case studies in the business report is that you are meant to be dealing with the stimulus not case study material. So for example you might be asked to determine problems within a business and recommend solutions. Your focus is not on case studies. Although you could for example say - "this was an effective strategy for this business, so it might work here" etc etc....

trish0005

HSC
Believe me I am a teacher and HSC marker. You definately need a case study for the final question. It says in the Rubric (top of the question) refer to case study/studies. You may also need them for the short answers- a question could say refering to a business you have studied explain the political and social influences etc. From memory this has not been asked before but there is nothing stopping it being asked. The syllabus says in each topic you must know a case study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)