• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Excel Physics textbook (1 Viewer)

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
I only have the excel textbook for physics, does it have enough infomation to get good marks?

kini mini

HSC
No one textbook has all the information you need IMO. You should cross-reference two or three, like Jacaranda, Longman and Marsden :). I don't really recommend Excel, its summaries are a little too brief I found. But if you have it you might as well make use of it.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah excel is alright... alright just to summerise. its too brief as i found it. my physics excel came with a free cd with all the past exam questions and just questions n general... so i use it to practice and do some questions...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
If you only have one textbook, make it Jac. I personally wouldn't rely on just XL ...

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
ok kool, how much is Jac? and can i get it from a book store?

hmm are the notes on HSC online enough to get good marks? like if i memorised those would it be good enough?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by countrydude
ok kool, how much is Jac? and can i get it from a book store?

hmm are the notes on HSC online enough to get good marks? like if i memorised those would it be good enough?
Jac is about $50 new, there should be many secondhand copies floating around now.

I don't think just memorising this or that is good enough, though physics is a regurgitation course you do have to memorise a hell of a lot and no set of notes is perfect.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i think xcel is okey....but don't rely on it completely....

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
You should be able to do fairly well in your exams if you cram in everything in the excel book because it does address everything in the syllabus, although it's a bit shallow in some aspects.

One thing's for sure, its MUCH better than its chemistry counterpart.

Rahul

Dead Member
u definately need physics TEXT books.

i would recommend physics context and everyones favourite- jacaranda.

also the surfing series is really good.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
u definately need physics TEXT books.

also the surfing series is really good.
yeah get the surfing ones as extra sources. they're really good. pretty good short, but detailed notes with many questions and their worked solutions!

they're like $15 for each topic

Huy

HSC
N/A
a change :)

I love excel phys,
I've memorised prelim phys LOL

I absolutely HATE excel chem,
i rarely touch it,
it only looks great on my bookcase, collecting dust.

but excel phys is great.

mind you, i'm not failing phys either, for those of you who recommend using other textbooks

(sure, use other textbooks, but i prefer to use excel solely... call me stubborn :D)

i prefer to have slabs of text spaced out, with figures or diagrams separating those slabs, it makes it easier to memorise visually.

Last edited:

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ

yeah get the surfing ones as extra sources. they're really good. pretty good short, but detailed notes with many questions and their worked solutions!

they're like $15 for each topic
are they available for prelim physics?

Akira_Tikira

Excel by itself is okay if you are looking for a Band 4 , anything above it is not alright. I mean the book is only 200 pages covering like 7 topics, So there is a bit of a problem.

My choice, go find another book, Jacaranda obviously the best, but Longman is hopeless

Huy

HSC
N/A
i suppose you have got a point,
but from personal experience, i have been using excel solely and have been rewarded with much higher than a band 4.

back to the issue however,
people learn differently, so i would say that jacaranda, spotlight (if you're looking for in-depth detail) in conjunction with excel physics would be your best bet.

Nasti

when does uni start?
I find that a combination of;
a) Longman (our school's TB);
b) Excel and;
c) My teacher's overhead notes

Is everything i need. Although some people may argue that then again my teacher may be setting easy tests this is not true. He is a fairly well known Physics tutor at one of the major tutoring venues in my area and comparing his test (which i did today) to the 6/7 trial/hsc papers i did last night - his tests are hard.

Like everyone said; u need a collection of resources!

If you are lucky enough to be mechanically minded, then you will be able to grasp many of the concepts of physics and explain, with reason, many of the concepts even further than Excel does.

Once again; it's a personal thing. Have a look at Jac. and see if you like it - if you do buy it.
But, remember, make sure you USE it! Rip it, scribble it - just remember this is your last year don't save anything for later!

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
i suppose you have got a point,
but from personal experience, i have been using excel solely and have been rewarded with much higher than a band 4.

back to the issue however,
people learn differently, so i would say that jacaranda, spotlight (if you're looking for in-depth detail) in conjunction with excel physics would be your best bet.

My friend from last yr used only excel and he got a HSC mark of 96 and he's method was to memorise the whole excel and spit it out in the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)