• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

family members telling you different things for hsc (1 Viewer)

shayla

HSC
Im re enrolling at my local high school to do the HSC, starting term 4. If you struggle with all of the subs that ur doing and people in ur family, want you to change to another subject, what would you do? Catch is: my nan is saying drop Modern and my my mum is saying drop drama! So confused.

i am so confused

thanks for your help

shayla

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shayla said:
Im re enrolling at my local high school to do the HSC, starting term 4. If you struggle with all of the subs that ur doing and people in ur family, want you to change to another subject, what would you do? Catch is: my nan is saying drop Modern and my my mum is saying drop drama! So confused.

i am so confused

thanks for your help

shayla
Follow your heart. Your family members are not the ones who will be undertaking the HSC courses. However, I suggest you take advices that mostly suit you. For example, my mom suggested that I do Chemistry as my future career path may lie in pharmacy.

jellybelly59

HSC
hahaha lyounamu u could get into pharm for sure! ur too smart :p as for whether you should change your subjects or not depends on whether or not u can improve ur mark from hard work and whether or not u like dat subject

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Family members can affect you to large extent. It happened to me as I suggested earlier. It was my mom who wanted me to undertake Chemistry because I was good at science & she wished that I become pharmacist. However, it took her few months to realise that my love did not lie with Chemistry & the Pharmacy degree.

So, make a right decision. Follow your heart & do whatever you wish to do (however there are factors that you need to consider such as your aptitude for that subject, your love & interest and etc.)

Cerry

HSC
Honestly, you're never going to make your entire family happy. Do the courses you need for uni, and then make up the rest of your units with things you like. if you don't know what you want to do at uni, then I'd reccommend do maths, a science, maybe either history or geography, and then make up the rest of your units with stuff you like. As much as possible, try to do stuff you'll do well at, unless you absolutely hate things you're good at, in which case, I'd go for stuff you like.

HSC
lyounamu said:
Family members can affect you to large extent. It happened to me as I suggested earlier. It was my mom who wanted me to undertake Chemistry because I was good at science & she wished that I become pharmacist. However, it took her few months to realise that my love did not lie with Chemistry & the Pharmacy degree.

So, make a right decision. Follow your heart & do whatever you wish to do (however there are factors that you need to consider such as your aptitude for that subject, your love & interest and etc.)
What do you want to do ?

shayla

HSC
thanks for the advice

i am probably going to do both Modern and Drama (they were the subs that ppl well telling me differently) cos ive been told by a tutor that if say i drop modern, i have to pick up a sub cos i did one of my units at tafe so thats not involved in the hsc so he said that i have to work hard no matter what subs i do and no matter how much work is involved etc.

So i hope my dedication for the second time round, my attitude to want to complete the HSC and the fact that even tho my subs arent going to be easy, that i will just try my hardest and work like anything!

HSC
i am probably going to do both Modern and Drama (they were the subs that ppl well telling me differently) cos ive been told by a tutor that if say i drop modern, i have to pick up a sub cos i did one of my units at tafe so thats not involved in the hsc so he said that i have to work hard no matter what subs i do and no matter how much work is involved etc.
actually tafe units do count toward your hsc but may not be included in your uai. it really depends if you want to go to uni or not. if not i'd say drop a subject, you'd still be eligable for the hsc.

So i hope my dedication for the second time round, my attitude to want to complete the HSC and the fact that even tho my subs arent going to be easy, that i will just try my hardest and work like anything!
good luck with that. :)

bettina44

HSC
lyounamu said:

your american?

ok maybe that's a bit off topic,but how are you going in drama and modern? i would drop my lowest scoring subject.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
aside from the obvious, follow your heart, consider your future, be who you wanna be, remember that your family only has, i hope, your best intrest at heart. they say what they say out of love.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bettina44 said:
your american?

ok maybe that's a bit off topic,but how are you going in drama and modern? i would drop my lowest scoring subject.
No. I am just used to writing "mom" instead of "mum" because I have been writing "mom" for the last 3 years.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
No. I am just used to writing "mom" instead of "mum" because I have been writing "mom" for the last 3 years.
And your English teachers accept that?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
And your English teachers accept that?
Well I have never been pointed out before because I hardly (or never) write "mom" in my essays. :D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Well I have never been pointed out before because I hardly (or never) write "mom" in my essays. :D
So much for using it then for the past 3 years, eh?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
It would be wise to adopt the British spelling as we are living in Australia.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:

Seriously, I'm not taking a stab at you, but I absolutely despise the way you write. I've got no idea why, but it just makes my blood boil.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Pick the subjects you think you'll enjoy or will be most appropriate for your University course in the future. If you do not wish to attend uni, just follow your heart, like Lyounamu said :). Don't let your parents enforce your decision negatively e.g. Don't do DRAMA!, Modern history is POINTLESS etc etc. It's up to you to decide, as you will be the one sitting your HSC.

SomeoneCool said:
Seriously, I'm not taking a stab at you, but I absolutely despise the way you write. I've got no idea why, but it just makes my blood boil.
If you're not taking a stab at him, then keep it to yourself, ok?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
SomeoneCool said:
Then that's your fault, isn't it?

Seriously, you don't even know why you despite the way I write. Your statement is basically answer without explanation (and hence 0 mark).

By the way, you WERE taking a stab at me.

Last edited:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Must have been the "follow you heart" statment. It reminded me of the scaling speeches the teachers made last year, and those speaches were very irritating especially since all the teachers were contradicting each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)